Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coolmac156 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2010, 05:28 PM
    I am on my OPT. Can I work as an independent contractor?
    I am a foreign student and currently on my OPT. I have been offered a contractor position from a consulting group for 3 months. The agreement states my title as an independent contractor Can I accept this? Can I work as an independent contractor on OPT?
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Apr 1, 2010, 05:26 PM

Yes, it is a taxation status. Your OPT allows you to work as such.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I Work for An Independent Contractor, Will I get a 1099 or a W-2? [ 3 Answers ]

My friend got her license to be an independent contractor and she hired me as her helper, she's very professional and paid me by using her business check every month last year but she never deducted anything for any kind of taxes. Will she need to pay taxes for medicare and ss and what form will I...

Quarterly Taxes [ F1 visa and on OPT hired as an independent contractor (1099) ] [ 2 Answers ]

I am on an F1 visa and am on OPT(17 month STEM Extension) hired as an independent contractor (1099). It has been exactly 2.5 years since I came to the US. Do I have to pay quarterly taxes ? Thanks, Abhishek

OPT independent contractor and taxes [ 4 Answers ]

What are the taxes that a foreign student on OPT who is working as an independent contractor is subjected to. What if the student is a "resident alien" for tax purpose. (IRS classifies foreign students as "resident aliens" for tax purpose if the period of stay in US is roughly 3yrs or more). ...

Independent Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

As an independent contractor, What can be claimed on your taxes?

Independent Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

Fall 2006,I found a great job through a staffing agency. The job is Office Manager with a very small service firm. After 2 weeks the company "bought" me from the agency for several thousand dollars. To meet their budget needs, they offered to bring me to their staff as an independent contractor...

View more questions Search