Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    groundhog74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2010, 10:44 AM
    Single hvac for 2 story home
    We are looking at purchasing a new home. Is a single system enough to cool a 2900 sq ft 2 story home? It looks like it is a newer (and large) 13 seer unit. Is it possible to convert an older home (20+ years) to zoned?

Thank you!

Al
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2010, 11:55 AM

There is much more than square footage that determines the cooling load of a structure. Residential a/c units are available with capacity up to 5 tons (60,000 BTUH). Virtually any existing structure can be zoned - it is only a matter of how much (if any) demolition is required to access the duct system, and the willingness of the property owner to make the investment.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2010, 01:55 PM

We never install 1 system on a two story house over 2000 sf always 2 units.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2010, 03:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshdta View Post
    we never install 1 system on a two story house over 2000 sf always 2 units.
    This is actually pretty smart. Not only does it give you some degree of zoning, but you aren't "putting all your eggs in one basket". Should one system fail, you can retreat to the comfortable portion of the home until the problem is corrected. Ideally, a separate system for each floor.
    groundhog74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2010, 09:10 AM

Thank you for your answers. I'm not sure why a 2900 sq ft house isn't zoned. Could you give a very rough ballpark as to the possible cost of converting a 23 yr old house to zone (you know like $5k-$30k or whatever the range might be)? Thanks.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2010, 12:41 PM

No way to tell, it would all depend on how the duct work was done. Some may be able to be used , or it could all be worthless. Plus you have to figure into how many walls and celings will need to come down.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 12:57 PM
    The only true way to find out cost and best for your home is to see the link below and get estimates from local contractors.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf How to pick a Contractor.pdf (309.7 KB, 172 views)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I lay ceramic on ceiling with liquid nail single story house? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I lay ceramic on ceiling with liquid nail single story house?

Can I use liquid nail to install ceramic tile to ceiling it's a single story home? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use liquid nail to install ceramic tile to ceiling it's a single story home?

HVAC for single room [ 3 Answers ]

Is there an HVAC available for a sunroom 12' x 20'? I have a concrete floor covered in tile. There is no room for a through the wall unit due to the windows. My only thought was an attic unit. I don not want a window unit.

Conversion of mobile home to single family home [ 5 Answers ]

In 1995, we bought some land & moved a salvaged mobile home on it. The mobile wasn't permanent meaning we only needed to live in it until we could build our house. We first added onto the mobile a 12x60 section. We then began to tear down the mobile home & eventually added a front section. The...

Low flow of air out from the ducts of a single story home [ 1 Answers ]

My house is a single story of 1700 sf of inside living space. Due to constant high gas montly bill of $ 240.00 and considering that that I keep the internal temperature from to 62 F to 64F , I found out that all the ducts do not provide an adeguate flow of war air in all rooms . So this is the...

View more questions Search