Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mzgigi412 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2010, 11:39 PM
    I am in a one sided relationship for almost three years now!
    I am in a one sided relationship for almost three years now and sadly it has taken everything from me already even myself respect. I know that I am better than this however I can't seem to get myself out of this situation. Somehow I keep making excuses for myself as to why I am not able to make whatever move I decide on. Which is why I am expressing my feelings now.  I don't want to be in the situation I am in any longer for fear that just by staying with this person might get me in trouble with the law, I've been there and done that already and am ready to make a change for the better before it's too late.  M heart aches at the mere thought of leaving him but I have needs too.  The hardest part of leaving is not having a place to move to along with my three small dogs.  
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2010, 11:58 PM

What do you mean by one-sided?

If you have decided to move on and leave,start looking for somewhere to move to.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 24, 2010, 09:27 AM

The hardest part of leaving is not having a place to move to along with my three small dogs.
    Can you support yourself? If not, why not?
    AmericanGirl01 Posts: 145, Reputation: 83

Mar 24, 2010, 10:02 AM

One-sided love is not fair to either person. Also, relationships are hard enough to keep even when both people are actively in love with one another. You cannot make it happen on your own.

It won't be easy but you can't possibly continue on this way with him especially if doing so might get you in trouble with the law!

You already said it yourself, you know what you need to do. Best to throw this fish back into the sea and look for love elsewhere.

Mar 24, 2010, 10:53 AM
    One-sided meaning I'm always the "giver" in our relationship. Anything that has to do with my hapiness or for my benefit, he does not care for. I am also finacially unstable which makes it difficult or me to leave. Everything that we have right now are all fruits of my hard work.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 24, 2010, 10:56 AM

Tell him to get out. Then work on being stable without him.

Mar 24, 2010, 11:17 AM
    It's no longer a matter of finding love elsewhere, that eventually will come my way when the time is right. It's trying to build myself back together again is what I have trouble doing. I am emotionally shattered with no self esteem... He's robbed me of every bit of self respect I had left.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanGirl01 View Post
    One-sided love is not fair to either person. Also, relationships are hard enough to keep even when both people are actively in love with one another. You cannot make it happen on your own.

It won’t be easy but you can’t possibly continue on this way with him especially if doing so might get you in trouble with the law!

You already said it yourself, you know what you need to do. Best to throw this fish back into the sea and look for love elsewhere.
    Violaename Posts: 394, Reputation: 29

Mar 24, 2010, 11:21 AM

You know what to do!
    The answer is right in front of you!
    But your real problem is finding the courage to do it.
    Listen,close your eyes and be true to yourself... is it sadness or joy that is an occasional episode in your life?If its sadness,are you ready to live with it and enjoy the pain?If not,then what is it you want?Joy can only come when you let him go and look at a better tomorrow.
    You must find the courage deep inside and hope to see that when you let him go,there will be someone else who will just be waiting to wipe your tears away and make you happy.
    Good luck.
    AmericanGirl01 Posts: 145, Reputation: 83

Mar 24, 2010, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mzgigi412 View Post
    It's no longer a matter of finding love elsewhere, that eventually will come my way when the time is right. It's trying to build myself back together again is what I have trouble doing. I am emotionally shattered with no self esteem.... He's robbed me of every bit of self respect I had left.

By finding love elsewhere I didn't mean look for another guy. You're obviously not getting the love you need from this guy so don't stay with him hoping things will change.

You need to separate yourself from this guy , this relationship sounds toxic. He's left you emotionally shattered, with no self esteem left, and at the same time managed to make you terrified of leaving him because you no where to go.

What I meant is you need to find love in yourself. You are worthy of being happy, you are worthy of being loved, and you are worthy of being respected. You really need to believe that and until you do, people like him will just take advantage of you.

Be strong. It's time you take control of your life.
    Showme_urmove Posts: 319, Reputation: 101

Mar 24, 2010, 11:50 AM

The hardest part of leaving is not having a place to move to along with my three small dogs.
    Probably the reason you couldn't live him is that you become very dependent on him. Once you put yourself in that stage of mind you yourself is your own enemy. Don't be afraid to live your life and make yourself happy. 3 years is long enough, be independent not dependent.
    I don't want to be in the situation I am in any longer for fear that just by staying with this person might get me in trouble with the law, I've been there and done that already
    why would you be in trouble with the law if you stay with him?

Mar 24, 2010, 11:48 PM

It's not easy to just tell him to get out, he's taken credit for all that I've done and blames all the screw ups on me. I tried telling him to leave but then he gets physical... This is where I shut up and tak in all the negativity without even a chance to defend myself, he gets physical. Another thing that bothers me is when everything seems to be going well between us. Within a blink of an eye his mood changes... All of a sudden he starts a fight and mentions a guy friend of ours whom I've had intimate moments with in the past. The mere mention of that guys names is enough for him to want to hurt me.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2010, 12:15 AM

So he is physically and emotionally abusing you.
    You need to get out-now.

Get help,call your local domestic abuse helpline,call the police and either get him kicked out or find a shelter for yourself.

His constant abuse has erroded your selfesteem,find the courage to save yourself and get rid of him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My relationship of 5 years isn't everything I want. [ 7 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for five years, we've had a house together for 2 years. Before I could imagine us getting married and feeling happier than ever, but there's been times in the past he's just upped and left me with no explanation, and I've never even got a phone call from him. It...

Stuck in a one-sided relationship which does not seem to be like one-sided at times [ 28 Answers ]

I am like stuck in this confusion for long time now and still have not been able to find a solution. I met this guy around 5 years back during my graduation, we started talking without a reason and became best of friends over years. He always used to act authoritative and protective against other...

After 4 years she says doesn't want a relationship? What do I do? What would YOU do? [ 33 Answers ]

Ok, so where do I begin. I'm male 22 and my partner is about to turn 18 . We have been together for four years and they have been great. However it has been a long distance relationship and we have had our ups and downs. Recently last week when everything was going fine she suddenly dropped a...

2 years and still not sure if I want this relationship [ 3 Answers ]

Ive been dating this girl for to a little over 2 years, I think I love her but I'm not sure if I'm ready for the level of relationship that I should be in. I'm now a senior in high school and I've been having a real hard time the last few weeks because I don't know if I really want to be in this...

Unhappy marriage, sadly I think its over [ 3 Answers ]

My hubby and I have been married for 20 years this year and we've always been happy until he had a career change! He is now nursing and is working with a lot of females, 4 years ago he was diagnosed with testicular cancer and had a testicle removed, things haven't been the same since,he is not at...

View more questions Search