Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2010, 11:20 PM
    Writing a Resume. What Do You Think Are the Most Effective Ways of Doing It?
    Hi, All!

Writing a resume is an art. Some ways of doing it go in and out of vogue. According to your understanding and knowledge, what might be the way to put one together that will be the most attractive and really "catch the eye" of a potential employer in the current times?

Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2010, 08:39 AM

I've read many resumes in my time. There is no real "catchy" way of writing one.

Some people use the chronological set up.
    Some people use the skills set up.

The basic thing you need to remember is if you make your resume too hard to figure out just how long you were at your jobs the paper is going to be 86'd in the trashcan as too hard to read. I've seen many good resumes end up there as the person got overly "creative" in how the meat and potatoes information was presented. It was just too hard to figure out.

Also, you need to remember that your resume is probably going to get 1-2 minutes of "read" time before going on to the next one.

I never personally cared for all the hobbies and/or outside work organizations a person did or belonged to. That is totally irrelevant to the job being applied for. But try and tell some people that.

Be sure to pare down your job description or duties. If they want to know exactly what you did, they'll ask at the interview. You don't have to list every picky chore or duty you did there.

Simplifying always on my resume would garner me an interview.
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2010, 11:59 AM
    I've formatted quite a few resumes for myself now over the years...

Some have been functional and others have been chronological.

I know that it needs to be easy to read and understand. Is there a way to do that which will best show what you can do for a certain position and show what you've done in the past which might be of benefit to a certain position, without the resume being way too long?

How about we format a fictitious resume here? Might be fun!

Thanks!
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2010, 02:58 PM

I would rewrite the resume for each job, and make sure the things that are prominent on it are the things that are relevant to that job.

For instance, if the job requires a degree in Maths, then put that first. If have that, no employer is going to be too concerned with what grades you got in your Leaving Cert.

If languages are necessary, then start with all the languages in which you are fluent.

Make sure that your resume is clear to someone who may not aware of the finer details of education. Often someone relatively junior is given the job of weeding out all the applicants who don't have a degree, for instance. So make sure your resume says "Degree" clearly.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2010, 03:21 PM
    I just went through a long job search, which involved rehashing my resume over and over... I had the luxury of time... no huge rush, but I still wanted to be done sooner than later... took months.

After getting nowhere I talked to a few HR people who emphasized that they were getting large volumes of applicants...

One person said they wanted more results based info on the app... less time on duties and more time on what you've done to impact change or get results in the context of what the job is...

Anybody applying might have my degree and be trained in the same skills. They wanted to hear "i made a difference at this company by doing these things"... and if it was an online form, try to find a space for that in additional comments sections if you cannot get it into the responsibilities section...

The most maddening thing was finding out the online apps were often useless. Granted, I was looking for areas on the fringe of my previous work... but I ran into the following...

One local branch of a national company barely used the online application system. Id applied for a position that stayed open for weeks and weeks... when I finally inquired by touching base with a person I knew there, they hadn't even seen my resume.

Another position id applied for had shelved my resume, deeming me overqualified. Now... I was, to some degree, but it was with a business I was willing to enter a step down to later move up three... so I didn't hear a thing from them until I called and pushed a little.

So... my experience is focus on results and make inside contacts, network, and call when in doubt. The position I finally accepted was one where I wasn't slated for an interview until I called and asked for one... that lead to a spontaneous phone interview.. which lead to two more in person.

It is ugly out there right now. I think you need to make some noise.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 24, 2010, 03:40 PM

Kp knows what he is talking about. Companies want to know what you have done -- how you have made money or saved money for a business (Accomplishments). I'm guessing ScottGem can add some thoughts to this discussion. And yes, make noise.
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2010, 08:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen G View Post
    I would rewrite the resume for each job, and make sure the things that are prominant on it are the things that are relevant to that job.

For instance, if the job requires a degree in Maths, then put that first. If have that, no employer is going to be too concerned with what grades you got in your Leaving Cert.

If languages are necessary, then start with all the languages in which you are fluent.

Make sure that your resume is clear to someone who may not aware of the finer details of education. Often someone relatively junior is given the job of weeding out all the applicants who don't have a degree, for instance. So make sure your resume says "Degree" clearly.

Excellent ideas from you, Eileen G! I do try to "gear" my resumes to certain positions. Have been in church music work nearly forty years. When going for a church position that's in music, most of the resume is about that sort of thing and not so much having to do with other positions in other fields.
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2010, 08:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171 View Post

it is ugly out there right now. i think you need to make some noise.
    Very very true!
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2010, 08:51 PM
    So, what about the basic formatting of the resume? Is there a way of doing it that will get the person noticed the most?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 24, 2010, 09:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    So, what about the basic formatting of the resume? Is there a way of doing it that will get the person noticed the most?
    Less is more. Resume means summary. You want a clean, easy-to-read one-pager with lots of white space and very concise information that includes keywords important to the particular industry or business.
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2010, 09:13 PM
    Originally Posted by Clough
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Less is more. Resume means summary. You want a clean, easy-to-read one-pager with lots of white space and very concise information that includes keywords important to the particular industry or business.
    Font size and type of font used? Are those also important to consider?

Two page okay if you've been in the job force for quite awhile? I know that you wrote about it being one page. But, what if you need to be able to show more information but have it be concise and easy to read and look over quickly?

Thanks!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 24, 2010, 10:40 PM
    Font size and type of font used? Are those also important to consider?

Two page okay if you've been in the job force for quite awhile? I know that you wrote about it being one page. But, what if you need to be able to show more information but have it be concise and easy to read and look over quickly?
    Font size: 12 point.
    Font: Times New Roman or Arial. Some use Courier, but I wouldn't.

The resume's purpose is to get you the interview. A two-pager does not catch the eye of an interviewer and is not concise and easy to read and a quick look. I have a three-pager (my complete resume on file) and can make that into a clean, concise one-pager. So can you. Once you get an interview with it, take along your two- or three-pager and give it to the interviewer at the end of the interview to remind him about you and to fill in any chinks.
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2010, 10:44 PM
    So, what about high points to note in it in order to make it a one pager?

That's pretty tough for me because of the variety of things that I've done.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 24, 2010, 10:52 PM
    Do a functional resume with workplaces notes in a smaller font at the bottom of the page.
    Pshaw! Piece a cake! I've got tons of variety on mine, and I did it. Think functions.
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2010, 11:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Do a functional resume with workplaces notes in a smaller font at the bottom of the page.
    Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Pshaw! Piece a cake! I've got tons of variety on mine, and I did it. Think functions.
    Do you think that we could put together a fictitious example here?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 24, 2010, 11:54 PM
    Do you think that we could put together a ficticious example here?
    Of course!--as long as we spell everything correctly (as a good example). Fictitious is spelled fictitious.
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2010, 11:57 PM
    Okay, let's have a go at that! Doesn't all have to be done tonight though.

How about one that is about a former school teacher who has also been a musician?

Thoughts, please?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 12:10 AM

DONALD T. SMITH
    1234 First Street
    East Sidalia, IA 12345
    (123) 555-1234
    [email protected]

Field Superintendent:
    > Offer professional quality management skills and excellent work ethic, receiving high recommendation from previous employers for proficiency, loyalty, thoroughness, effective interpersonal and communication skills
    > Proof and edit blueprints
    > Quickly comprehend new methods and procedures
    > Work well independently, and effectively within team environments

Carpenter (rough and finished):
    > Rehab commercial properties from demo to ready-to-move-in
    > Effectively supervised as many as 44 crew members
    > Experienced in building high-rise office buildings, hospitals, hotels, bridges, restaurants, and special rooms for the ATF
    > “Hands-on” Journeyman carpentry skills
    > Very strong on-site problem solving skills
    > Successfully oversee commercial – TI Projects
    > Class A CDL driver's license

TRAINING AND ACHIEVEMENTS

Military: KA6D/A6E Armament System Organizational Maintenance; Aviation Ordinance School Class 1A; Corrosion control, troubleshooting, and safety training

Civilian: Commended for special achievement in an emergency situation; Awarded for safety first attitude; Inland Petroleum Distribution system water support systems; New Tool Design to enhance safety of personnel; Designed forklift attachment to improve safety; Electric / Pneumatic drive operations; Cutting / Grooving operations 6” pipe; Inventory setup and assembly

WORK HISTORY

Carpenter (rough and finished)
    ,Variety of Locations (2000-2008)
    Field Superintendent, New Day Construction, Bettendorf, IA (2007)
    Field Superintendent, XYZ Construction, Centralia, IL (2006-2007)
    Field Superintendent, Woodson Inc. Plainview, TX (2005-2006)
    Field Superintendent, Exalon Construction, Albany, NY (2004-2005)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 12:15 AM
    Okay, let's have a go at that! Doesn't all have to be done tonight though.
    I just posted a functional one.
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2010, 07:38 PM
    Carrots as opposed to bullets for the lines?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Writing a resume? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm applying for a few different jobs. I've only worked at Firehouse Subs for two months, but quit because... it was really a horrid place to work at and I needed more hours. I've also worked at an Oral Surgeon's office for two months cleaning surgical tools and setting up trays. I don't have...

Writing a resume [ 86 Answers ]

I am trying to get a job as clerical at a collection agency but requires a resume. I haven't never type up a resume so I was wondering if someone can help me make up a resume. I haven't really worked in an office before. I have only worked at pizza hut and McDonald's so how could I possibly make...

Writing Comments on Resume [ 5 Answers ]

Is it OK to write comments on a resume during an interview? I don't see a problem with it but an HR person here has serious issues with it. I personally think she's off a bit - tried to turn a ? On the page into "they can say you are racist if they are a minority from that question mark". And I...

About Resume Writing [ 1 Answers ]

I Have done A course in FAshion Designing and looking for a job as a fresher , kindly teell how do I make my resume attractive.

Writing a Resume [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Consultant, Please could you advice me on the best method of preparing a resume

View more questions Search