Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fallen_angel_here_in_this_life Posts: 54, Reputation: -3
    -

Mar 23, 2010, 07:07 PM
    Tooth extractions and blindness
    Is it true that tooth extractions could cause blindness?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 23, 2010, 07:50 PM

No it is not true, in fact never even heard of that, ( did you just make it up to have a question to ask? )

I guess the dentist could slip and poke your eye out??
    -

Mar 23, 2010, 08:04 PM

People learn things everyday, so unless you are GOD, you do NOT known everything. How about you check out Tooth extraction cause blindness - Eye Care - MedHelp

Also, do a Google search of "tooth extractions + blindness" and read more about these stories. Obviously you are uniformed. If you do not have the correct answer you should probably post your response as an opinion, rather than an actual answer.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2010, 08:07 PM
    I have not heard of it either. Blindness CAN be caused by infection that could be the cause of needing the tooth extracted.
    -

Mar 23, 2010, 08:13 PM

Flossie: I have several questions for you, as the dental expert. First... how can I tell if a tooth needs a root canal and not a feeling? A dentist told me that she can see that I need a root canal on tooth number 3, which is a molar, but I read online that a dentist cannot diagnose just by looking at an x-ray. I read somewhere that a dentist must clean the cavity out in order to determine if it needs a root canal or feeling. Can you help me out?
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2010, 06:17 AM
    An x-ray is usually what the dentists go on when recommending root canal. They will also take in to consideration any symptoms you are having. Usually sensitivity to heat or pressure (tapping on the tooth or when chewing) indicate there is possibly an infection in the nerve. An abscess can be seen at the root tip on an x-ray.

When the tooth is badly decayed and the dentist just goes ahead to do a filling he/she will will often find that the decay goes right in to the nerve and will then recommend a root canal.

I hope this helps.
    -

Mar 24, 2010, 08:37 AM

If I scan my X-rays and post them, would you be able to tell me if a root canal is necessary?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do Canadian emergency rooms do tooth extractions? [ 18 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone knows if emergency rooms do tooth extraction. I have no coverage and an abscessed tooth.

Could tooth extraction cause blindness? [ 1 Answers ]

I had my tooth in upper jaw extracted and I lost my sight about 4 days after the extraction. I want to know, is there any connection between eye's nerves and tooth's nerves? What about Nervus Trigeminus? I am asking because I asked my dentist who did the extraction of my tooth and he said that...

Fearfull of blindness [ 3 Answers ]

My brother thinks he has a disease of the eyes where they deterate and waste away to nothing, he has been to wills eye hospital and they can't say what his problem is.have you ever heard of such a thing?he is fifty now and he thought the same thing when he was 18.

Concerns about Tooth Extractions [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My orthodontist recently informed me that I am going to need a good few tooth extractions in order for them to progress with my treatment. This, for me, is a complete and utter nightmare. I have an intense fear of teeth falling out/being pulled out - and because of my impending situation,...

View more questions Search