Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roundmonkeylover Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2010, 04:16 PM
    Revealing mental health issues to new girl friend
    So...

Brief synopsis - I suffered with cycles of depression and 'productive' mania since the age of 14-15. It came to a head in epic style a couple of years back and I was diagonised with bi-polar disorder.

Since then I've worked really hard to balance my life and keep myself on even keel. I chose at the time not to seek further medical help, instead I pursued the things I had been doing unconsciencly in the past to bring myself out of depressive cycles and resisted the temptation and euthoria that usually preceded the manic cycles. So far so good.

I've recently been seeing a new girl, she's probably one of the coolest people I've ever met and I'm sure that perception has as much to do with how content I am at the moment, as a slur on anybody before her. However, I don't want to hide things or lie to her.

Subtly and timing are generally things that still escape me, but are there better ways and times to tell her?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 23, 2010, 05:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by roundmonkeylover View Post
    So...

Subtly and timing are generally things that still escape me, but are there better ways and times to tell her?
    I applaud your outlook, roundmonkey, however, it is difficult for anyone here not knowing you or her to advise you on the proper timing to tell her about your bipolar situation. I won't call it mental health issues, and I don't think you should bring that into your conversation with her when the time comes. All I can say in your defence is you will know when the time is right. Only if, of course, you feel that you and she are a couple and intend to stay that way. Make sure of this first before you have this discussion with her. It may be sometime down the road when you do. Who knows, after knowing you a good length of time she may pick up on small nuances in your personality and if she cares, she may ask you outright. If that happens, don't be alarmed, it will only mean that she cares enough to find out why.

Good luck and keep us posted on your situation. Others may wish to advise you as well, or give their input. Be receptive and sift through it all.

Ms tick
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2010, 06:54 PM

I would suggest a little computer time, a place to allow for exposure,in a subtle way,

You could just be looking through a bipolar site and allow things to progress from there.You know,leave a page open on a site that has a good description of the illness.

Bipolar Disorder Symptoms - Signs Symptoms And Diagnosis Of Bipolar Disorder

Bipolar disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder (Manic Depression) | Psych Central

Manic Depression

Maybe you'll spur interest in her, I really can't say this will or won't work, just a suggestion.

Apr 6, 2010, 01:47 PM

Sooo...

I picked my moment and explained the situation. She said she had guessed there was something - not in how I was behaving, but in things I kind of hinted at. Anyhow seems all good, it's been brought up a couple of times in conversation - once by me, once by her and each time I've explained a little more.

So far - so good.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 6, 2010, 02:07 PM
    Sooo...

I picked my moment and explained the situation. She said she had guessed there was something - not in how i was behaving, but in things i kind of hinted at. Anyhow seems all good, it's been brought up a couple of times in conversation - once by me, once by her and each time i've explained a little more.

So far - so good.
    So she is an astute person, that's good. You say she had already picked up little things. I am glad you bridged that little problem. She is willing to work with you on it. Now you two can move on to bigger and better things in your relationship and be happy. I wish you all the best and keep us posted.

Ms tick
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2010, 02:12 PM

First I'd like to compliment you on your handling of your mood(s). That takes tremendous insight and dedication and, is after all, the only road to recovery. Medication only shrouds symptoms.

Now I need a little help from you. What is 'productive' mania as you described it above?

Apr 11, 2010, 11:57 PM

Hey DrBill,

Thanks for the post. Productive mania - well I suppose it's channelling the positive swing into a focus or task. Hard to explain but I'll take a pop...

When I first spoke to counsillor he told me that typeII bipolar (or at least the individuals that it categorises) often gets overlooked as the traditional view of mental health disorders is that people are typically either depressed or crazy manic.

However, some people exhibit manic swings more synomous with achievement often this gets overlooked as them being bright, creative or just hardworking. I for instance get caught up in creative ideas or solving problems. Which as I work as a design engineer - can be quite handy.

How I learn (am still learning) to deal with is to be more realistic about what I can and can't achieve and stopping the idea before it spirals out of control. An example...

Once I had some time off work and decided I'd spend the fortnight doing something different. I was always goood at writing stories at school and am still a reasonable artist so decided I'd write/draw a children's book. I set out into town to by some resources and new art materials, mind rushing full of ideas and characters. Within a few hours I'd convinced myself that I COULD get a publishing deal.

Now it probably doesn't sound like a big a deal or too crazy but at the time in my mind it was huge, within the course of an afternoon the logical process of thoughts that were forming in my mind took a silly little hobby of an idea into something overwhelming and epic. It wasn't something motivated by money or fame (everyday I'm sure a thousand people sit down and dream of being the next JK Rowling) - for me it was just achievement.

Now everybody has these little dreams or ideas but I struggle(d) to keep my feet on the ground - I guess I'm just a little further up the curve, more susceptible to the seduction of the fulfillment of achieving (and if I'm honest the praise and admiration it brings). The example above was fairly small and actually very rational, some ideas would last weeks - often not sleeping to find the time. Some would be very grand, dillusional, over quickly - acompanied with huge endorphin rushes.

Now I don't want to lose that aspect of my personality but recognise that it's better for me to keep things in persepective, resist temptation and slow back the speed of ideas somewhat. Being aware is the trick and that's aided by taking time, sitting ideas a little and letting them dissolve away naturally.

At times I feel dull and cheated - but I'm working to find a normalised balance that works, a little way back down the curve.

Hope that helps.
    bloodyhalo94 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Apr 12, 2010, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    I would suggest a little computer time,,a place to allow for exposure,in a subtle way,,

You could just be looking through a bipolar site and allow things to progress from there.You know,leave a page open on a site that has a good description of the illness.

Bipolar Disorder Symptoms - Signs Symptoms And Diagnosis Of Bipolar Disorder

Bipolar disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder (Manic Depression) | Psych Central

Manic Depression

Maybe you'll spur interest in her,,I really can't say this will or won't work,,just a suggestion.
    You could try that then tell her "well it's better that you know....i have bipolar disorder, it is under control though."
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2010, 07:58 PM
    Hey DrBill,

.. Productive mania - well i suppose it's channelling the positive swing into a focus or task. Hard to explain but i'll take a pop...

At times I feel dull and cheated - but I'm working to find a normalised balance that works, a little way back down the curve.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I'm more accustomed to the term hypomanic but productive is just as good and, in your case, more specific. It seems to me that you have made great progress and I'm certain you'll find that balance you're seeking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dating while dealing with mental health issues? [ 4 Answers ]

I am currently a 3rd year student in college and so is my "boyfriend". We started dating a year ago but broke up abuot 6 months ago, because we were having problems. Although we both agreed that we needed to take a break and be single for a while, that never happened. We've continued to be friends...

Unsure of mental health issues [ 5 Answers ]

I have had a lot going on in my life especially in the past year for e.g. wasn't with my partner when I was preganant he was with some one else engaged so I moved away before I knew back to a place with familly that I didn't want to be. I have had on going stress through out my life but I think...

Religion and mental health issues [ 2 Answers ]

Could someone help please, I have known my neighbour for a couple of years, she lives on her own and has no one, her family has disowned her, she is classed as a nutcase and does very strange things like call on complete strangers asking for compassion and telling everyone that God is punishing her...

View more questions Search