Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KISSROMEO2 Posts: 33, Reputation: 0

Dec 1, 2006, 10:29 AM
    Hello - Statutory Rape?
    In 2004, I met a guy who was involved with an acquaintance who had been dating him for years on end. She introduced me to him as he was seventeen, I was twenty at the time, blah blah blah.. I began dating him shortly thereafter. His family welcomed me in and told me that we had to be careful that since he wasn't yet eighteen we would have to worry about statutory rape. We dated for about a month when, after some investigating, I found out he was truly fifteen. About a week later, I discovered I was pregnant.
    His family wasn't thrilled about the pregnancy but adapted to it. We continued a relationship from September through March. During that time span, some illegal activity happened in his household, and his father allowed him to move into my mother's house with me, on the agreement that I would take him to and from high school. I agreed.
    We split up in March due to other family members of his disagreeing with our relationship.
    Now, his family refuses to accept my child and wants to press charges of statutory rape.
    He turned 18 in October 2006 and Emily (our daugher) was born in June of 2005.
    How long is the time span that someone can file for statutory rape? I want to file for child support considering he has since abandoned his daughter and doesn't see her or pay for her.
    Would it be worth it or too much of a risk?

Ps. I would have dumped him as soon as I found out his true age but I didn't want his family to press charges on me because his father had mentioned it if I didn't do everything exactly as he wanted me too and luckily I was too far along at that point to have an abortion(when he threatened it a second time).
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2006, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSROMEO2
    Would it be worth it or too much of a risk?
    Hello KISS:

You might or might not be guilty of statutory rape in criminal court. That case will wend its way through the system and work out however it's going to work out.

That has nothing to do with the civil case against the father for child support. Besides, they've already filed the criminal case against you, so you have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain.

excon

Dec 1, 2006, 12:41 PM
    Actually they never pressed the charges but they have threatened it. I just don't want it to be brought to public knowledge if I could possibly get charged.
    If I did get charged, I would try everything to fight it though because his family AGREED to it and then passed him into my housing so he wouldn't be brought into it.
    I mean, I don't know what to think but it's been a lingering pain in my heart.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 1, 2006, 07:00 PM
    NO one can agree to allow a minor to have sex, it does not matter if his mother and father, and brother all said, sure, it is OK,

It is still illegal, the mere act of having sex, ( proved by the baby) is all the evidence they need, there is no defense for sat rape ( besides possible showing they proved to you with fake ID they were of age)

Sat of limiation varies from state to state, but you would still have some time to go before it would even be close to being out of SOL.

So yes they can call the cops on you anytime for some time still and press charges for stat rape.

And you knew he was way under age, and had sex anyway, so yes you are guilty and there is no defense.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2006, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSROMEO2
    Now, his family refuses to accept my child and wants to press charges of statutory rape.
    Hello again, KISS:

There is more to this story. I don't understand. If they WANT to, why don't they? IF there's been a crime, why are they calling up the perpetrator and telling her that they WANT to press charges, but not doing so? What do they want from you in exchange for NOT pressing charges?

Are they saying that if you apply for child support, they'll call the cops? That is a crime. It's called blackmail. They are also guilty of contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Frankly, I would call the cops on them. And, then sue for child support!

Of course, you'll have to admit you had sex with him. But, from the sound of it, this isn't going to be kept under wraps. And, you shouldn't be the one keeping it quiet. From your point of view, even at a paltry amount of $100 a month, over the next 20 years, that's $24,000. Wouldn't that help raise your child? Can you afford to turn that down? Plus, in my view, if you go to the cops FIRST, you'll never see the inside of a jail cell.

excon
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2006, 09:57 AM
    You have a rather complicated issue here involving both civil and criminal matters. He is civilly liable for paying child support but at the same time you may be criminally liable for statutory rape. You believed him to be 17 when he was really 15. Either way, you knew he was a minor. Also, his family members who knew of your relationship could be likewise criminally liable as accessories and contributing to the delinquency of a minor as they obviously knew his real age even if you didn't yet allowed him to progress with the relationship and even suggested that they had knowledge that you two were sexually involved. Speak with a lawyer. Your ace in the hole could be to press counter-charges against them if they press charges against you for statutory rape. The child support issue is a completely different matter.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2006, 12:23 AM
    KISSROMEO2,

I see you are in PA.

Did all this happen in PA?

Because the age of consent is 16 in your state.

See: http://ageofconsent.com/ageofconsent.htm
    wesley Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 12:47 AM
    Sounds like they have and are still blackmailing you ,that is also a crime. 7 years is most common for stat of lim.

Dec 4, 2006, 06:32 AM
    I got pregnant around the middle of September. I found out on October 2nd or 3rd, he was really fifteen. Found out I was pregnant, October 5th. He turned 16, October 12th.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the statute of limitaions on rape in ontario canada [ 3 Answers ]

Just wondering what the time limit is for reporting rape. I never reported it when it happened because I was scared at the time. I was just wondering if it was to late to charge the person who violated me.

Rape law [ 2 Answers ]

In NYC in 1951 if a twenty-five-year old man has sexual intercourse with a fifteen or sixteen-year-old girl, is that considered rape? Is it considered rape even if the girl consents?

View more questions Search