Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jnvlv247 Posts: 68, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2010, 09:49 PM
    Text Color In Excel
    HI, I have Microsoft Excel 2007

I was wondering if there was a way to format words in cells to be certain colors but only part of the word

For example, laughing, etc, etc Say I had a list of -ing words and I want to make the -ing ending red in all the cells
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2010, 10:13 PM

I cannot do it here, but I can do it on an EXCEL spreadsheet.

1) Copy the full text on a spreadsheet.
    2) Set the colour to RED.
    3) Cover all the ings, preferably one by one.
    4) Just hit the red mark every time.
    5) See how you go.

I tried it with the two words :-
    Wondering,
    Ending.
    It definitely works.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Mar 23, 2010, 12:08 AM

Your choices are:

1) color the "ing" red manually
    2) use a macro to search and color them all

I could probably help construct a macro, but you will need to provide a good sample workbook, it should fully represent your needs... so I'm saying don't dumb it down too much just because it's a sample.
    jnvlv247 Posts: 68, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2010, 11:52 PM

OK that sounds good, using a macro, so what do I do?
    I should say that it isn't as simple as the -ing endings. The letters I want colored won't all be the same in length
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Mar 24, 2010, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jnvlv247 View Post
    OK that sounds good, using a macro, so what do I do?
    ... answered in post #3.

Click GO ADVANCED and use the paperclip icon to post up your workbook. Make sure it's completely clear in your workbook what you want... perhaps some before/after examples of all of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Excel 15 digit issue, tried converting to text, text to column feature negates fix [ 6 Answers ]

I have the following numbers that exceed 15 characters that needs to be split into its own columns. Down the road, there would be thousands of such rows of data with the first couple set of unique numbers. 890432453253208820,5004500558,05CC,1,0,0,0,0,0,0, 0000,5.0000,2007-01-11...

EXCEL - Wrap Text not working! [ 14 Answers ]

Hi I have a spreadsheet with one column having quite a bit of data in it. I have tried to 'wrap text' as well as 'auto-fit' within the row to no avail. Some of the information is still not visible no matter what I do. I have exhausted all possible options including excel help online and...

Excel text formula [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Please provide me the formula to convert names in to email address, for example - "William Smith" should be converted in to "[email protected]. Thanks in advance

Wrap Text in Excel 2003 [ 5 Answers ]

Am setting up a table for my DVD collection, so far, so good. Under the Notes column where I put in information regarding the movie, I've been going to Format, Cells, Alignment and clicking Wrap Text to get how I want it. Is there a way where the text would wrap without me doing that for every...

View more questions Search