Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emry Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2010, 05:05 PM
    First year, married k-1 visa holder, filing advice needed
    Hello,
    My son's wife arrived in US in June on k-1 visa. They married and once she got her green card, she started a small business. In her native country she worked from Jan to April and had taxes withheld.
    What's the best way for them to do their taxes? Should she file as resident alien? If they file married jointly, what forms would be required?
    Thank you for your help.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 22, 2010, 07:31 PM

If your son is U.S. citizen or resident, they can file joint return as residents. Both must report worldwide income for 2009. If you paid taxes in the foreign country, you will claim credit for taxes paid in the foreign country by filing Form 1116 or can file form 2555 Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income
    emry Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2010, 06:15 AM

Thank you MukatA. My son is US citizen. Form 1116 is to get foreign tax credit, so they should use that, but are they eligible to also file 2555 ? His wife (resident alien) has always worked (until her move to US) in her native country.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing taxes status-- you.s. Citizen married to G4 visa holder [ 18 Answers ]

Hello, I am a U.S. citizen, newly married to a French national working as a consultant for an international organization. He holds a G-4 visa, which exempts him from paying taxes in the U.S. Should I be filing as married filing jointly or married filing single? I also have graduate student loans...

J-1 visa holder, which FORM need to fill.needed urgently [ 13 Answers ]

Hello, I am a J-1 visa holder, trying to file my tax for 2008. I am trying to find out which form I need to fill , whether its 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ or 1040-EZ etc. It will be highly helpful if you could provide help of any sort. I am ready to provide any sort of informations> My details are:...

2 months married.advice needed. [ 20 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Need help or a good advice! I appologise about the length of the story, but I feel full story needs to be told to get a clear picture. Here it is. Met my wife of 2 months about 4 years ago. Felt perfect, and after a couple of months I felt like she was the one. A year and a bit...

Married Filing Separately with G4 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US Citizen married to a g4 visa holder at an international organization. She is exempt from US tax withholding. How do I file my tax return, married filing separately? Does this make me ineligable for education tax credits?

View more questions Search