Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rand_tedronai Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2010, 03:44 PM
    What exactly are the rules/laws on emancipation in West Virginia?
    Hey, just wanting to know more about emancipation, cause I do not know much about it. I live in West Virginia, and I just want to know exactly what the rules/laws are on emancipaition. What to do, what you can do, cannot do, what your parents can or cannot do. Just things like that. Any advice would help, especially if you have a background as a laywer. Thanks in advance.

R.T.

p.s. This question pertains to my girlfriend who is 17.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 22, 2010, 04:59 PM

If she is 17 then she might as well forget about emancipation because by the time it takes for her to prove herself she will already be 18. How old are you ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 22, 2010, 06:04 PM

She will have to hire an attorney, and prove in court that

1 she has enough income to live on her own ( not with someone)

2. that if still in school, she can continue her education

3. have a valid reason, not merely not wanting to be home.

It can take months to merely get a court date, and the parents can hire an attorney to fight it.

At 17 she will be 18 most likely before her court case would ever end
    rand_tedronai Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2010, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the help and advice. Just checking on all our options, just in case. As for school, whether she lives at home or not, she'll still be finishing up school. Again, thanks for the help and advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaving West Virginia for a week on probation [ 2 Answers ]

Well I want to leave West Virginia and I am on probation and want to go to California and visit with my best friend and his mom has breast cancer and I want to see her before anything happens,ill be back in a week.. I wasn't going to ask my probation officer because if he says no then I don't want...

Where do I send form 8379 I live in West virginia [ 1 Answers ]

I live in West Virginia. I filed my regular taxes online, but now I have to mail my form 8379. I need an address. Please help

My grandparents set up a trust in West Virginia. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I would like some information on trusts. My grandparents set up a trust before they passed away some 22 years ago. I really do not know anything about the trust or how much money and property they had. I have tried to keep out of this part of the family "secret" all these years, but it is...

West virginia, southern comfort, I can see it in your eyes. [ 1 Answers ]

The beginning words to what is supposedly a river phoenix song... can't find it anywhere...

View more questions Search