Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Mar 22, 2010, 03:32 PM
    Question about car radio reception
    Not sure if my question belongs here or not but here goes.

I recently had a JVC stereo/cd player installed in my car. Prior to the install, the reception for the radio was great on FM/AM. But after the new radio was installed, I don't get most of the FM stations I once got and for the ones I do get, they are sometimes fuzzy.

Any thoughts?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2010, 04:29 PM

Loose antenna connection, if this was installed professionally,go back and ask them to open it back up and TAPE the antenna cable this time!
    wunderland Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2010, 07:20 PM

Jakeste FM receivers have a dimension called FMsensitivity which can be as high as 10/11 or low as 8/9. The lower this number, the more sensitive the reception of distant or weak stations. Ask the dealer for this value, or go to Crutchfield.com, look up the JVC's specifications and note the value. If low then check KBC's loose antenna... if high the problem lies with the particular player.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2010, 07:44 PM

Sometimes factory stereo's have "diversity reception". This prevents losing FM stations when moving say a few feet at a traffic light. It improves reception overall. It uses two antenna's. One could be in the front window and the other in the rear window.

Sensitivity and selectivity can vary all over the map. These two parameters determine how well a radio will perform.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Radio Reception Varies? [ 2 Answers ]

Does radio station reception with car radios really vary depending on radio brand or car? It certainly seems to with cars I´ve recently owned. What´s behind the apparently significant variation in signal reception with car and truck radios?

View more questions Search