Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    animalfriend Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2006, 07:26 AM
    Buying Precautions?
    We're seriously considering purchasing a property in FL and want to be sure we're doing all of our homework. Foreclosure proceedings have been initiated, but the owner still retains the right to pay off the debt, so we'd be purchasing it through the current owner.

The property has Title Insurance with a reputable company and we're making an offer contingent on a home inspection. We've verified the property is not in a flood zone, is not violating any zoning, and is insurable. Is there anything else we should check?

I contacted an attorney to represent us and asked him to do everything possible to ensure things are in order. He's offered to review the seller's contract and provide Title Insurance through his firm. Are there any other safeguards we can ask him to take? The seller is anxious to close (due to the impending foreclosure) and I want to be sure we don't overlook anything in our haste. For example, could there be unrecorded debts against the place? There are two modular homes on the property. Could it be possible there could be debts against the homes themselves that might not appear with a title search? Or any other issues we're overlooking?

We'd be investing our life's savings and want to do everything possible to ensure there are no unpleasant surprises.

Thank you for your time.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2006, 07:30 AM
    Contact the foreclosure attorney and tell them of your offer to purchase the property, mostly likely they would prefer to let the sell proceed rather than foreclosure. Give them the name of the title company handling the sale for you.

Just a suggestion
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Dec 1, 2006, 10:21 AM
    The Owners Title Insurance policy should cover you on the real property. The modular homes started as personal property, with a title just like a car. If they are still personal property, the seller should be able to provide a clear title to each. If they have been turned into real property, then there should be a recorded Affidavit of Affixture for each one. That is the way things are done in AZ. FLA may be different. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buying condoms [ 18 Answers ]

When you are at a shop to buy condom pack... n so many people standing there... how will you ask the shopkeepwe to avoid embrassement

Buying a house [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently looking at buying a home and it's an older home that has been mostly updated. Except for of course, the plumbing. The basement still has the old cast iron pipes for the sewer... Would this be very expensive to replace. The house has about 1500 square feet of living space. I know...

Buying a used mower [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My MDT 42", 18HP, rider w/bagger just gave out after 14 years. I never really liked it so am looking for something new, better. Someone suggested a Walker. I have about a 6500 sq feet of yard and like to bag. What do you think of Walkers? I was also thinking of buying a new John...

Buying new monitor [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking to buy a new PC monitor which I want to use mainly for games and videos, I've checked all over but can't seem to find a decent one. I'm looking for a 20" widescreen lcd with a prefforable resolution of around 1600 1200, anyone knowledged on monitors please help as I am not. Thank you

Buying a used pool [ 1 Answers ]

I am buying a used pool from someone and want to know if tearing it down and then putting it back up will some how damage the pool. I will have to buy a new liner the guy said. It is a 24' by 48 above ground. Thanks for any information I guess Im wondering if I should just buy a new pool and...

View more questions Search