Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JRayLand Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2010, 10:46 AM
    Compressor and fan run long after fan inside has gone off
    The compressor and fan outside on my heat pump continue to run long after the fan inside has turned off. I have cleaned the relay contacts thinking that they were sticking but it is still running. Could it be the digital thermostat inside?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 22, 2010, 11:22 AM
    A signal is being sent to the outside unit to operate or the contacts are welded shut on the outside contactor starter.

OR

The furnace blower motor or blower motor relay in the inside unit is defective.

Turn off the thermostst completely. That should turn off the outside unit. If not the problem is in the outside unit.

If you flip the switch on the thermostst from auto to on for the fan control at the thermostat the blower should come on and not turn off.

One of these will tell you where the problem is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my condenser fan run while my compressor runs [ 1 Answers ]

My condensenser fan would start and stop I removed it from the pressure switch and wired it so it runs when the compressor runs is this OK??

Making the evaproator(inside) fan run faster [ 3 Answers ]

I have a variable speed fan on my Lennox 5 ton unit and it runs too slow to cool the house correctly with all the ductwork I have. The house is a tri-level and about 2600 sq. ft. with only this one unit. I need to up the speed on this fan to keep me cool. Can I do this?

New Compressor Run OK. HVAC Fan only run in Heat mode. [ 15 Answers ]

This board is awesome. I have done some reading first on here. Here's my case: Compr runs fine. Fan on HVAC blower inside runs only in Heat mode. Not on Cool. Not even on "FAN-ON" as opposed to FAN-AUTO. Can this be an issue with relay and board within HVAC? Per other thread, it was talking...

Inside unit blower works. Outside fan does not. Compressor clicks once? [ 2 Answers ]

The a/c was working fine last night. This morning, I noticed the fan in the outside unit was not running but the blower on the inside unit was blowing. I turned off the unit at the outside breaker box and turned it back out. When I did, I think it was the compressor I heard click but then nothing....

Compressor off/ fan trying to run [ 2 Answers ]

The fan on my Rudd unit keeps clicking like trying to start. I replaced the contactor. It didn't correct the problem. I called a service tech. He checked it out and said everything was fine. He replaced a flag connector. I had wired the new (double contactor) in for single pole. He moved the line...

View more questions Search