Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doobinkjazz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2010, 06:42 AM
    Bank levy laws in nj
    Hi I live in nj I have a judgement against me for an old credit card I was unaware of the case against me because they sent the papers to an old address. I live on social security disability and I am also a payee for my cousin's ssi which is deposited directly into my account however my husband whom I am separated from deposited money in my account for child support just before they levied my account that's all the money that I have is there any way I can get it back?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2010, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by doobinkjazz View Post
    that's all the money that i have is there any way i can get it back?
    Hello d:

Probably not. Your SSI is NOT garnishable, but the bank isn't going to do the bookkeeping for you. I'd open another account and transfer your SSI to that account, and inform the bank that that's all that's in there.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does the bank have to notify you in advance for bank levy? [ 4 Answers ]

A levy was placed on my bank account without notice from the bank can that be done?

Bank levy laws [ 3 Answers ]

Once a bank account has been levied, how many days before the same creditor can try again to get money from that same account?I live in the state of Minnesota.

Texas garnishment and bank levy laws [ 1 Answers ]

Texas law for wage garnishment and bank levy Does Texas allow wage garnishment or bank account levy for unsecured loan? What happens with a judgement?

What are the bank levy laws in Texas? [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a judgement filed against me for non-payment of an auto loan. Does this entitled them to levy my bank account for the money that is owed to them? Please advise!

Bank levy [ 1 Answers ]

Can a levy be place against your bank account if it is joint and the joint account holder is not your spouse. Is it true that adding a child or aanother third party to your account as a trust or co owner will stop the levy because creditors can not seize an account with a third party.

View more questions Search