Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lea_09 Posts: 100, Reputation: 10

Mar 21, 2010, 07:05 PM
    Ideas about book writing?
    My parents have inspired me to write a book. My dad actually finally told me he secretly sent one of my stories (inspired by Shigeru Miyamoto and his zelda characters) to an editor and said that my writing was excellent. I heard this from my college professor too who asked me to be her English tutor for the English department this fall (I don't know if I should take it up on her offer yet). I wanted to try to first start something small like children's books but I lost interest quickly. I mean I have seen CSI and other forensic shows and that is what people seem to be interested in. There are too many books about violence and guns. I want something that will draw people without the sterotypical murder and mystery. What should I write about?
    Cyberstar Posts: 33, Reputation: 16

Mar 21, 2010, 07:26 PM

That's wonderful!

Please don't feel compelled to write "mainstream" material if that is not what you're passionate about. I understand if you think it may sell, but maybe you won't enjoy the writing process as much. Don't you think you would produce better creative works if your efforts were put into writing something you are interested in and enjoy?

Shows like CSI are part of pop culture and have entertainment value. They're also enticing because they allow the viewers to vicariously experience a different lifestyle to their actual daily routine. People are interested in a variety of other things, and it really depends on the age group you want to cater to.

I would try to draw on your favourite books and authors for ideas and inspiration. Think back to when you read something that was captivating and engrossing to the point where it made you want to write something that would move someone else in a similar way.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2010, 05:12 AM

Find the story you HAVE to write, and write it. Don't worry if it's not fashionable right now, by the time you've written and polished it, it might be just what readers want.

Don't assume that children's books are an easy option.

Write the book you'd love to read.

Mar 22, 2010, 07:54 PM

Ah I see:) Well I was really feeling maybe something along the lines of sci fi. I love that stuff and I kind of want to hit the age group of mid twenties and up.
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2010, 02:53 PM

Then that's what you write. Good writing means pouring your heart and soul into. It's not worth it unless you are writing the book you are passionate about. Don't forget, you are going to live in the world you create for the best part of a year. It had better be a world you enjoy.

Mar 27, 2010, 11:44 AM

Sounds good. I want to always write about something controversial but not too strange.
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2010, 01:25 PM

Have you read what's out there? It would be hard to be considered strange compared to some of the stuff that's popular right now!

Mar 27, 2010, 04:46 PM

What's popular is like murder and mystery. Oh and twilight... ugh. Puke. My sister is 11 and she read the first book and said it was way too easy to understand. Lol. I was thinking about writing about the 'third' gender. When I say that I mean tansgenders and getting married to another man. I mean it is a touchy issue. But I would have to do a lot of interviewing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ideas of writing a s letter to get a sponsor for our football team [ 2 Answers ]

How to put in words when asking a company to help sponsor our under 14s football team

Writing a book. [ 17 Answers ]

Okay so I am trying to write a book but I find myself not to be the best writer unfortunately... So I was thinking of having someone write the book for me. I believe they are called "ghost writers" they do them for celebrities all the time... Now the question is how do I go about getting someone to...

I'm writing a book [ 3 Answers ]

I want to write a book about what the world would be like if the continents reformed to one single continent. I have more than one question, First, Is there a way it could happen suddenly? Second, Could a bomb set off an earthquake?/ Is there anything that can set off an earthquake? Third,...

Short Story Writing Ideas [ 1 Answers ]

I need help coming up with 4 topics for short stories that I have to write for English. Im good at the writing part... but not good at the coming up with topics part. Can anyone help me?:confused:

Writing a book [ 4 Answers ]

So I'm writing a book I think, but its more of a diary form. It starts when I'm 11 and daddy leaves but I need a name for a character he's supposed to be my best friend who I love wholeheartedly at the age of 16 and he's amazingly perfect. Have any ideas? Oh and I also need to name an evil fish.

View more questions Search