Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Raehunt2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2006, 10:13 PM
    Compunds & atoms
    The only thing that can separate a compund is ?
    In an atom the strong nuclear force keeps? :o :o :confused: :confused:
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2006, 11:26 PM
    To separate 2 atoms bound together in a compound, you need to break the bonds between them, this requires ENERGY and I believe that is the answer for your first question. [im not 100% on the interpretation of the question though]

For your second question, I can help a little more as a physicist.

In the nucleus of an atom you have a dense cluster of protons and neutrons. The protons are all positively charged and the neutrons have no charge. This means that all of the protons should repel each other strongly and so a nucleus should not be stable. However it is! The strong force is a VERY strong force that acts only over a VERY short distance (over 100 Newtons at 1.3 femtometers) and dies off exponentially. Once protons get close enough together , the strong force overtakes the repulsion, and the protons come together into the nucleus.

Hope the second answer made up for lack of detail in the first one ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many atoms of carbon? [ 2 Answers ]

can someone help me solve this? 1.how many atoms of carbon are in 2.4 x 10^3 of coal if 6.02 x 10^23 carbon have mass 12 g? I know the 1 mole of C atoms is 6.022 x 10^23 and that's 12 grams I need to know how to solve the question and what the chemical formula for coal is I look it up...

Atoms in grain of sand [ 2 Answers ]

Estimate the number of atoms in a grain of sand. Assume the grain is a 0.25mm (on each side) cube and that average distance between atoms is 10^-10m. Please help me answer this question I have a lot of trouble solving it. Can u show the steps too. Thank you sooo much.

Knock & Flow Stop at Hot Water only to Kit. Sink & D/W [ 3 Answers ]

At our kitchen sink we have a problem with the hot water flow. When the hot water is turned on full (a mixing faucet) either immediately or shortly after the water comes to a full stop simultaneously there is a knock. The water does not begin flowing until you turn off the water altogether. ...

Atoms and bonding [ 3 Answers ]

PLEASE READ THIS AND HELP ME OUT! Hey guys, uhh so I don't really like getting help with homework but there are some questions on my science homework, and I love science, but its about atoms, and I don't really understand atoms so I am asking for some help, all right so this is 9th grade science...

Atoms [ 1 Answers ]

If the electrons in an atom can occupy any of four different energy levels, how many lines might appear in that atom's spectrum? What if the atom has five different energy levels?

View more questions Search