Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nlongwe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2010, 09:37 AM
    What is a close corporation
    What does Close corporation in accounting means?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2010, 09:59 AM

A quick search on Wikipedia would have given you an answer (Do not copy this definition for your homework!) --

The institution most often referenced by the word "corporation" is a publicly-traded or publicly traded corporation, the shares of which are traded on a public stock exchange (e.g. the New York Stock Exchange or Nasdaq in the United States) where shares of stock of corporations are bought and sold by and to the general public. Most of the largest businesses in the world are publicly traded corporations. However, the majority of corporations are said to be closely held, privately held or close corporations, meaning that no ready market exists for the trading of shares. Many such corporations are owned and managed by a small group of businesspeople or companies, although the size of such a corporation can be as vast as the largest public corporations.

Closely held corporations do have some advantages over publicly traded corporations. A small, closely held company can often make company-changing decisions much more rapidly than a publicly traded company. A publicly traded company is also at the mercy of the market, having capital flow in and out based not only on what the company is doing but the market and even what the competitors are doing. Publicly traded companies also have advantages over their closely held counterparts. Publicly traded companies often have more working capital and can delegate debt throughout all shareholders. This means that people invested in a publicly traded company will each take a much smaller hit to their own capital as opposed to those involved with a closely held corporation. Publicly traded companies though suffer from this exact advantage. A closely held corporation can often voluntarily take a hit to profit with little to no repercussions (as long as it is not a sustained loss). A publicly traded company though often comes under extreme scrutiny if profit and growth are not evident to stock holders, thus stock holders may sell, further damaging the company. Often this blow is enough to make a small public company fail.

Often communities benefit from a closely held company more so than from a public company. A closely held company is far more likely to stay in a single place that has treated them well, even if going through hard times. The shareholders can incur some of the damage the company may receive from a bad year or slow period in the company profits. Closely held companies often have a better relationship with workers. In larger, publicly traded companies, often when a year has gone badly the first area to feel the effects are the work force with lay offs or worker hours, wages or benefits being cut. Again, in a closely held business the shareholders can incur this profit damage rather than passing it to the workers. Closely held businesses are also often known to be more socially responsible than publicly traded companies.[citation needed]

The affairs of publicly traded and closely held corporations are similar in many respects. The main difference in most countries is that publicly traded corporations have the burden of complying with additional securities laws, which (especially in the U.S.) may require additional periodic disclosure (with more stringent requirements), stricter corporate governance standards, and additional procedural obligations in connection with major corporate transactions (e.g. mergers) or events (e.g. elections of directors).

A closely held corporation may be a subsidiary of another corporation (its parent company), which may itself be either a closely held or a public corporation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happens to debt on the books when you close an s corporation? [ 1 Answers ]

I have to close S Corporation which has a line of credit with a very large balance. The loan was extended be two of the corporations hareholders. The corporation is not expected to pay back the debt. How is this debt to be treated upon closure? What are the tax implications on the final return?

How would I(ceo of a corporation) institutionalize ethics in the corporation. [ 2 Answers ]

Please send the answer as soon as possible. The question is - if I am a chief executive officer of a large corporation , how would I institutionalize ethics in the corporation?

A Taiwanese corporation or a Taiwan corporation [ 1 Answers ]

Which is correct: a Taiwanese corporation or a Taiwan corporation?

How do I close a corporation I started 4 yrs ago and do I need to file? [ 3 Answers ]

I started a corp 4 years back to run a business from home. I never actually used the corp for anything because I just couldn't fit it in to my life. 4 years later I still have this corp and I simply want to close it out. I never file any returns for the 4 years I had it because I never use it. My...

How to close and "S" corporation [ 1 Answers ]

How do I close an "S" corporation with the IRS after the corporation had flied the 1120S

View more questions Search