Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimgott Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2006, 10:05 PM
    Furnace will only run for 45 seconds
    I have replaced the fan swith limit switch and gas valuve. But the furnace comes on and after 30-45 seccs it shuts off the pilot, main gass and fan never comes on.. when the fan should come on it clicks and shuts down every thing. Any help. My suspicion is the wiring is not correct. ( th vs tr on gas valve and the limit is a spdt switch so I'm not sure about the limit wiring either

Thanks in advance
    Hannibal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2006, 10:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgott
    i have replaced the fan swith limit switch and gas valuve. but the furnace comes on and after 30-45 seccs it shuts off the pilot, main gass and fan never comes on.. when the fan should come on it clicks and shuts down every thing. any help. My suspicion is the wiring is not correct. ( th vs tr on gas valve and the limit is a spdt switch so im not sure about the limit wiring either

thanks in advance
    Hi, I imagine it is not on long enough for heat to turn the blower on. I had one once that did the same thing. What was happening was when the burner came on and air started to flow to the flame it would blow out the pilot light and then the thermocouple would shut the whole thing down. What solved the problem was to bend a piece of tin where the air entered by the burner to change the air flow. Solved the problem. If a panel is missing or air is leaking in where it should not it could change the dynamics of the air feeding the system. Just an experience. This one fooled one HVAC repair man into replaceing the control valve but a diff. repair man figured it out.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2006, 05:57 AM
    I need more information. Age, brand, efficiency could really help me answer this one. There is something about Hannibals answer I'm just not sure of.
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2006, 04:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    Hi, I imagine it is not on long enough for heat to turn the blower on. I had one once that did the same thing. What was happening was when the burner came on and air started to flow to the flame it would blow out the pilot light and then the thermocouple would shut the whole thing down. What solved the problem was to bend a piece of tin where the air entered by the burner to change the air flow. Solved the problem. If a panel is missing or air is leaking in where it should not it could change the dynamics of the air feeding the system. Just an experience. This one fooled one HVAC repair man into replaceing the control valve but a diff. repair man figured it out.
    Was the primary air disturbing the pilot? This should never happen. Or was it the draft inducer fan that caused the flame to lift of the thermocouple?
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2006, 04:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgott
    i have replaced the fan swith limit switch and gas valuve. but the furnace comes on and after 30-45 seccs it shuts off the pilot, main gass and fan never comes on.. when the fan should come on it clicks and shuts down every thing. any help. My suspicion is the wiring is not correct. ( th vs tr on gas valve and the limit is a spdt switch so im not sure about the limit wiring either

thanks in advance
    Are there 2 wires that come into the valve right below the thermocouple lock nut?
    Hannibal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2006, 01:05 AM
    Hi, I am not an HVAC person. This is just what happened on a furnace I once had in a house I was renting to a HVAC person. He tried to fix it, said it needed a new regualator. So I had a friend who is a HVAC repairman and he sold me a new regulator/valve and the renter and I put it on. Still the prob. Remained. Then my friend the HVAC repairman came over and actually figured it out. The furnace was an older type and had no combustion motor. The primary air would I guess lift the pilot far enough off the thermocouple to shut it down. It is prob. A very rare instance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace cycle last only about 30 seconds [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Coleman 7680 gas furnace that will only run for about 30 seconds at a time. When we first turned it on this year we noticed that the air blowing out was not very warm. Then noticed the cycles. Tried replacing the thermostat but it still only runs for maybe 30 seconds at a time. We live...

Furnace shuts off after a few seconds [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace will lite for few seconds then shuts off. How do I trouble shoot this. I have a rheem model # rgpn

GMC Gas Furnace Fan Won't Run [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a friend with a GMC gas furnace that will not start. We are receiving a three blinking LED code that says pressure switch failed to close. We found this switch on the main air fan and discovered the fan will not run in auto or manual. We checked for 120 VAC output on the circuit board...

A/C shuts off after a few seconds [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday, our A/C shut off and would not come back on. It shows on the digital thermostat that the fan is blowing cool (two different icons that appear and move) but the unit is NOT on. After leaving it off for the afternoon, my husband was able to turn it back on, but this lasted 30 seconds...

Power for 2 seconds before shutting down [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I've got a problem with my PC and I was wondering if some people wouldn't mind taking some stabs at what they think it could be. I brought a nice case for my PC the other day and transferred everything over along with adding some more RAM and a new HD. I got everything up and running...

View more questions Search