Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lewbundy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2010, 08:56 AM
    Moving autistic child away from father
    My son was evaluated and diagnosed with high functioning autism. I am getting divorced and she wants to take him out of state. I initially agreed but now I am having second thoughts. Are there any laws in California that protect fathers and/or autistic children from moving out of state? This may not be a good idea for him. And it's the child we are to think about. I don't care if there is a new life over there, Also this is to go down soon, so he will be ripped out of school.
    Please help.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 20, 2010, 09:02 AM

I suspect the autism wouldn't be a factor; the very fact that he is a vulnerable child is the main reason he shouldn't be moved out of state and away from a parent. Look at this site (the site suggests getting a lawyer for any kind of divorce -- and I agree) --

Steps To Protect Yourself During Divorce
    Larken85 Posts: 696, Reputation: 146

Mar 26, 2010, 04:18 AM

We tried to move my fiancé and her autistic son out of state (closer to the father I might add) and the guy threw a fit and brought her to court for taking the son more than 150 miles without his permission. The judge can give permission for her to move however if you are fighting for him to stay near you then you may have a fighting chance. I suggest going to the court for a custody issue and make sure that they can't move that far away. If she wants to move far away that is fine but she should leave the son with you. It's not like you're the one that's moving away after all and I believe the father has certain rights when it comes to dictating where the mother can go and how far she can go with your son. A parent on the ladder side of the custody agreement (the one who gets shafted with only visitation) can move anywhere he or she wants without having to ask permission from the court. Reason is you are not moving the child. I say go to the court house and try to find someone that can help you out here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother put 10 yr.old autistic son in mental hospital without knowledge of Father [ 9 Answers ]

Please help! My son and his ex wife agreed upon the custody isssues of their two children themselves. No lawyers, no court, no papers. Verbal between the two of them. It was decided the daughter which is the oldest would live with her Father (my son) and that the son who is autistic would reside...

What is the best diet for an autistic child? [ 2 Answers ]

I have an autistic three and a half year old and I'm looking for information about diets I could try. What is the best one?

Is my child autistic [ 6 Answers ]

Hi could you tell me what is wrong with my daughter she constantly walks round in circles has really bad temper tantrums that last anything between 10 minutes and 2 hrs anything can trigger her off she tells people they smell and if a motor bike goes past she gets scared and holds her ears she...

Autistic child [ 1 Answers ]

I've been working fulltime up until the time my autistic son started school. Since then, I stopped working so I can take care of him. He's receiving income supplement from SSA and I am his guardian. He just turned 18 but he can't manage to take care of himself. My question is, do I qualify as a...

View more questions Search