Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    milawi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2010, 06:12 AM
    Can you deduct mortgage interest paid to a foreign bank for rental home in US
    Client owns rental property in the US- the home mortgage is held by a foreign bank... is the mortgage interest deductible on the Schedule E?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 20, 2010, 06:45 AM

Yes, but there is a problem. Your client is required to withhold taxes on interest payments to the foreign bank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign home mortgage interest [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Intl Tax Expert, From the above answer, I understood that I cannot take the deduction for the Foreign home mortgade interest paid to aforeign banker simply because, the banker has the oblication to pay 30% to IRS and they will not usually do it. Please advise further on this. Also,...

Claim home mortgage interest paid to a foreign banker [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Intl Tax Expert and Visa Taxes, Thank you very much for your valuable advise. From the above discussion, I understood that, to claim the home mortgage interest paid to a foreign banker, we need to fill a form 1042 and pay 30% of the mortgage interest paid to the foreign banker right? ...

Foreign rental property and mortgage interest [ 4 Answers ]

I just found out that I should be claiming by rental property in Germany. That means I need to amend the last 4 income tax returns. I am a US citizen and spouse is a Green card holder. Where do I claim the rental income and mortgage interest paid to the foreign bank. TaxCut keeps asking me for...

Can I deduct home mortgage interest? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a slightly interesting situation... I purchased a condo with my mother in 2005, but she was the only one named on the loan as her credit was much better than mine at the time. I am, however, on the deed of the condo. Since that time, I have paid all costs associated with owning the home...

Mortgage Interest paid to bank in Canada [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Canadian citizen and now work in the U.S. under a TN Visa I bought a house just across the border in Canada. The mortgage is with a bank in Canada, and they do not issue a Form 1098. Can I deduct the mortgage interest and property taxes on my U.S. tax return? If, so, what documentation...

View more questions Search