Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cabigsister Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2006, 06:22 PM
    Teacher Burn Out
    I am a high school social studies teacher, and I'm feeling burned out. This is a second career, so I am frustrated at having to "start over" again. I love most students, but the paperwork is overwhelming. I have 240 students a day, teach five different classes, run two clubs and have a special needs foster daughter at home.

Today really was a challenge for me. I teach a sheltered, English Language Learners class, and many of the students in there also have learning disabilities. We were in the library computer lab doing a fun computer project and I was just so frustrated because many of the students have the answer write in front of them, and can't "find" it. This is not a language problem. Students work for 30 seconds and then stare into space for two minutes or just don't work. My regular and honors class finished this project in two days. We're on our fourth day. I lead students through it and show them where the information is but one student was tagging the library, and so many don't move unless you're right over them.

What really challenged me was when I caught the tagger and the one who gave him the pen. I asked if they want to go to a school where there's graffiti all over the place, and they said they didn't care. "it's the school's problem." This took all of my wind out and I've just been a deflated balloon. The student's contact numbers are all disconnected, they come a few times a week to school, blah, blah, blah.

How can I teach in a smaller environment or with students who love learning? I feel like I'm pushing a hundred kids up the hill and I'm done. I use all learning styles, make it engaging, connect to their daily lives, etc. etc.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2006, 04:08 PM
    Try a private school. The salary and benefits probably won't match up to what you're getting now but you'd no doubt find it to be a more professional experience.
    sharprays Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Why is the world so competitive, I have been working so hard and I still have so much more to do. Its sometimes very challenging. Can you advise how I can make the most use of time
    noeymc Posts: 77, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Well I go to a carpy school elyria high if you heard of it we have breaks falling holes in the roof beams holding up walls and we have state money but the issues not going 2 pass and every one nos its I mean the school can't stay up much longer but to be honest I don't really care what happens to it seeing how me or my kids will never ever go their again so if it falls I am sry for them but what ever you no that's me and I no its not the best way to go aobut it and kids that space out might not just like the project I don't like a lot of my teachers projects I mean I do them it just takes me a little longer and you can't compare your honors to reg classes its not fair honor kids want ot learn reg not so much I mean come on its har dot be a teacher I no because I give my teachers a hard time its just helps make time go by faster and no one enforces the rules so really we can get away with anything but you sound like a good teacher just can't try to compare you honors and reg classes Good Luck 17 year old student

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teacher Burn Out? [ 7 Answers ]

I am a former middle school teacher of 12 years and I eventually burned out. I loved teaching but I couldn't sustain the level of involvement required to be an EXCELLENT teacher. I didn't want to be anything less than that. How many of you have suffered from teacher burn out? Stories?

Stupid teacher [ 7 Answers ]

I'm doing as level art at my college at the moment, and I am SO close to dropping it because of my stupid teacher. She has made 3-4 of the people in my class cry because of her criticisms and favouritism, she bangs on about how we can take our art in any direction she wants and then shackles us...

Teacher needs help [ 7 Answers ]

Have a 10 year old student with the following characteristics: Volitle.. emotionally, not physically Mild to moderately paranoid Dislikes most people, yet is very sweet and clingy to me No social skills Immature Insecure Gets very loud and emotional Repeats phrases... I hate you... you...

This teacher needs an answer... [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know what the following code means: OA9 OA4 TRI The zeros actually have a slash through them although I can't show that using my keyboard. I believe the TRI refers to TriCities Airport in Blountville TN. Any idea??

Can't burn cds but DVDS burn fine [ 7 Answers ]

:rolleyes: Hi there I have looked through the relevant forum pages and couldn't find the answer so here goes.I have a Sony DVD RW DW -D22A (cd rom drive)if I want to burn any DVD fine no problems but a different matter for cdrs.If I put a blank cdr into the drive and then try to burn all that...

View more questions Search