Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mentalforce Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2010, 05:25 AM
    Toilet bowl fills after I shut off and on the water valve
    My toilet bowl won't fill after I flush it. However I can get it to fill by turning off the water valve and then turning it back on. Can someone help me? Thanks!
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2010, 06:01 AM

Remove the tank lid and Please tell us which type of fill valve do you have see the images below, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Mar 20, 2010, 11:01 AM

I have the one on the left the one without the bulb. Thanks Andrew
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2010, 11:44 AM

This is called a Fluidmaster fill valve 400A.
    It sounds like you have debris in the fill valve I would suggest to flush the fill valve, here is what you need to do see the images below, close the angle valve (Water valve) under the tank, remove the cap, remove the seal and inspect, hold your hand on top of the fill valve open the angle valve this will flush out any dirt that will be inside the fill valve, close the angle valve and reassemble the fill valve, check now if it works, if that would not help let me know and we will go the next step, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Mar 20, 2010, 09:35 PM

Thanks John, I just gave that a try, but I don't think that was it. I removed the cap and the seal and placed my hand over the fill valve to flush it out. After putting everything back together the same problem happened. Instead of water going through the hose it seems to trinkle out slightly under the cap. However after turning off and on the angle valve it fills properly. Thanks so much for your help. Andrew
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2010, 04:59 AM

Hello Andrew,

When the cap was removed and water flow was good, it sounds like your fill valve is not working properly and needs to be replaced.
    Before you replace the fill valve check the angle valve for loose washer close the main water shut off valve open the angler valve handle all the way out, remove the packing nut see the (image below) remove the stem and check the washer at end if loose tighten the screw if bad replace it, if the washer is good reassemble the angle valve, and proceed replace the fill valve assembly they are cheap and easy to replace see the image below, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Mar 21, 2010, 06:35 AM

Will do, thanks very much John!

Andrew

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Water Shut Off Valve [ 7 Answers ]

Greetings, After shutting off the water to the Toilet to fix something, the shutoff valve now leaks. I tried to tighten the packing nut - no luck - the pipe was starting to turn and I didn't want to break the pipe behind the wall. So... I unscrewed the packing nut and went shopping for a new...

Toilet water shut off valve leaks bad [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to replace a water line into a toilet. I put the new shut off valve on, but it does not get tight. What can I do

Water in the toilet bowl disappears and upstairs will fills with foul odor [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 2 story home with a bathroom that has a shower and toilet upstairs. The upstairs bathroom is not used very much or sporadically at best. Every 3-4 months the water in the toilet will disappear and the whole upstairs will fill with a very foul odor. (The tank still has water in it.) When...

Toilet water shut off valve [ 3 Answers ]

My shut off valve to the toilet will not shut the water off and water is leaking from the tank bolts? Can anyone help with the answer to both questions? Thanks

Toilet tank fills when water valve is off [ 6 Answers ]

My toilet tank fills (not immediately after fludhing, but within an hour) even though the water valve is turned off. What could the issue be and can I easily fix this myself?

View more questions Search