Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Triund Posts: 271, Reputation: 24

Mar 18, 2010, 01:32 PM
    Dinosaurs
    This question has been bothering me for a long time. The fossils of the dinosaurs are assessed to be millions of years old. Their skeltons are displayed in the museums. I am very staunch believer of the fact that God created the universe in six days. I do understand that the timeline of Lord God is beyond our comprehension. HIS one day would be ten thousand or more years of ours. Then how is it assessed that Adam and Eve were on this earth about 6,500 years ago? If that is true then museums and scientists are giving fake information.

Does someone has some information to help me fit in creation of dinosaurs in 6500 years?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 18, 2010, 01:48 PM

For one thing your working with a flawed premiss. The universe was created in 1 days time. Not 6.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
    2 Now the earth was [a] formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

20 And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky." 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them and said, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth." 23 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fifth day (see Ref)

So there alone is great expanses of time and as shown having originated in the sea then brough forth unto the land. By the time man came along most of the creatures had already been created.

Ref:
    Genesis 1 - PassageLookup - New International Version - BibleGateway.com
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Mar 18, 2010, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Triund View Post

Does someone has some information to help me fit in creation of dinosaurs in 6500 years?
    Hi Triund,

You are asking for someone to do the impossible.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2010, 02:20 PM

It's pretty simple really. The word as used in Genesis literally means one period. So one period can mean any amount of time from one second to 1 million years. When you look at it in the correct terms it makes perfect sense.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2010, 04:10 PM

The Church I attend actually believes that the earth is approx. 6000 years old. There is a creation museum in Cincinnati, OH and they take the Bible and Science and attempt to prove it.

I'm not sure myself... I am only certain on one thing... God created the Universe.

If I were you I'd Google Ken Ham... he has studied this topic and is bound to have a website and info that may help you.

Mar 18, 2010, 06:27 PM
    [QUOTE=classyT;2279334

If I were you I'd google Ken Ham...he has studied this topic and is bound to have a website and info that may help you.[/QUOTE]

Ken Ham is not an authority when it comes to science.

The bottom line is that empirically his claims about science are impossible by any stretch of the imagination.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2010, 06:39 PM

TUT,

That is your opinion... I really don't know enough about him to argue differently. I did visit his museum... it is pretty cool and I think if someone is interested in why some Christians believe that dinasours and man co- existed... HE is a good place to start.

Mar 18, 2010, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    TUT,

that is your opinion...I really don't know enough about him to argue differently. I did visit his museum...it is pretty cool and I think if someone is interested in why some Christians believe that dinasours and man co- existed...HE is a good place to start.
    HI ClassyT

My comment was not a opinion, either something is empirically verifiable or it isn't.

For example, to say that 90 percent of dating methods are inaccurate requires the person who said it to provide the empirical evidence to support this claim.

Regards

Tut
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 18, 2010, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    TUT,

that is your opinion...I really don't know enough about him to argue differently. I did visit his museum...it is pretty cool and I think if someone is interested in why some Christians believe that dinasours and man co- existed...HE is a good place to start.
    Im sorry but I just read through his article and I can't seem to make any sense of it because he skips around and follows no true chain of thinking. He just wants you to think like him or be gone.

Ref:

Chapter 2: What?s the Best ?Proof? of Creation? - Answers in Genesis

I am a christian and I believe the earth is way way older then 6500 years. Im not even sure where he is trying to come up with that number from.

Mar 18, 2010, 08:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post

I am a christian and I believe the earth is way way older then 6500 years. Im not even sure where he is trying to come up with that number from.
    I agree with this comment. I am a Christian too and I have my own interpretation of Genesis (which no one wants to hear).

If people believe that Genesis says that the world is 6,500 years old then that is OK with me.

What I am critical of are people who say that Genesis is correct BECAUSE scientific dating methods are 90% inaccurate. That's fine. But where is the proof that this statement is true. If Ken Ham wants to claim something like 90% inaccuracy then at the very least he can produce a working paper to this effect. From this we can learn such things as,what are his hypotheses? What methodologies will he be using? What controls will he be using? What are his predictions? etc.

Tut
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 18, 2010, 09:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    I agree with this comment. I am a Christian too and I have my own interpretation of Genesis (which no one wants to hear).

If people believe that Genesis says that the world is 6,500 years old then that is ok with me.

What I am critical of are people who say that Genesis is correct BECAUSE scientific dating methods are 90% inaccurate. That's fine. But where is the proof that this statement is true. If Ken Ham wants to claim something like 90% inaccuracy then at the very least he can produce a working paper to this effect. From this we can learn such things as,what are his hypotheses? What methodologies will he be using? What controls will he be using? What are his predictions? etc.

Tut

Express your opinion of genesis. Id like to hear it. It might not be far off from my own line of thinking.

Mar 19, 2010, 12:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Go ahead and express your opinion of genesis. Id like to hear it. It might not be far off from my own line of thinking.
    Hi calidadof3

Seeing as you asked...

The age of the earth as being infinite made sense to Ancient Greek Philosophers. This is because infinity was a concept they were familiar with. In other words, the idea of the infinite becoming finite was understandable.

The earth being 4.5 billion years old was not part of their world view. We are not only talking about the massive age of the earth but other concepts associated with a large time frame.

Motorcars are not part of my world view other than the fact that I experience them from time to time. All I know is that if you put fuel in you can drive it. Most other concepts associated with motorcars are beyond my grasp. If you ask me how many parts make up a car the answer from my point of view may as well be infinite.

When it comes to Genesis I believe the answer is simple. Genesis has been put to the scribes of the day in language and concepts they understand.

If someone can explain how the modern motorcar works in a simple language that I can understand then I would be grateful.

This is just my idea. If you think it is a load of rubbish, then fair enough. I will not argue with you. I have no evidence to support this idea.
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 19, 2010, 05:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    Hi calidadof3

Seeing as you asked....

The age of the earth as being infinite made sense to Ancient Greek Philosophers. This is because infinity was a concept they were familiar with. In other words, the idea of the infinite becoming finite was understandable.

The earth being 4.5 billion years old was not part of their world view. We are not only talking about the massive age of the earth but other concepts associated with a large time frame.

Motorcars are not part of my world view other than the fact that I experience them from time to time. All I know is that if you put fuel in you can drive it. Most other concepts associated with motorcars are beyond my grasp. If you ask me how many parts make up a car the answer from my point of view may as well be infinite.

When it comes to Genesis I believe the answer is simple. Genesis has been put to the scribes of the day in language and concepts they understand.

If someone can explain how the modern motorcar works in a simple language that I can understand then I would be grateful.

This is just my idea. If you think it is a load of rubbish, then fair enough. I will not argue with you. I have no evidence to support this idea.
    I don't believe the earth to be infinite but Ill accept the 4.5 billion year age. Also I believe the moon is younger then the earth. As it came from a colision at a later time.
    Triund Posts: 271, Reputation: 24

Mar 19, 2010, 09:50 AM
    Dear folks, thanks a lot for giving in your input on my question and to share what ever info you have. I did not and do not intend these postings to change into a debate or argument. I threw this question in because as I understand that 1 day for Lord God could be 10,000 years or could be million years. This reference we find in the Bible at 2 peter 3:8 mean, "... that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." Then the piece of creation of dinosaurs fits in perfectly in the puzzle. On the other hand I know that carbon dating is not a reliable procedure to assess the age of something. Then is age of earth 6500 years?
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 19, 2010, 10:06 AM
    Dear folks, thanks a lot for giving in your input on my question and to share what ever info you have. I did not and do not intend these postings to change into a debate or arguement. I threw this question in because as I understand that 1 day for Lord God could be 10,000 years or could be million years. This reference we find in the Bible at 2 peter 3:8 mean, "... that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." Then the piece of creation of dinosaurs fits in perfectly in the puzzle. On the other hand I know that carbon dating is not a reliable procedure to assess the age of something. Then is age of earth 6500 years?
    Where are you getting information that carbon dating is so inaccurate ?

Also a healthy debate is good because it gets ideas out there to be pondered. So long as it doesn't degrade into something disrespectful it's a healthy thing. That is one way we as people can solve problems.

Mar 19, 2010, 01:57 PM
    Dear folks, thanks a lot for giving in your input on my question and to share what ever info you have. I did not and do not intend these postings to change into a debate or arguement. I threw this question in because as I understand that 1 day for Lord God could be 10,000 years or could be million years. This reference we find in the Bible at 2 peter 3:8 mean, "... that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." Then the piece of creation of dinosaurs fits in perfectly in the puzzle. On the other hand I know that carbon dating is not a reliable procedure to assess the age of something. Then is age of earth 6500 years?
    Hi Triund,

When working out the age of the earth scientists don't rely on one single source. Apparently there are a variety of radioactive dating techniques that are used which don't involve carbon. I am not a scientist but I do know that it is highly unlikely they are all inaccurate.

You don't have to be a scientist to know that it is also highly unlikely that something can be inaccurate to the tune of billions of years.

Leaving aside radioactive dating there are still other sources of evidence such as meteorite samples. What makes all this evidence seem plausible is they all point in the same direction.

Regards

Tut
    Lukas Caldera Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2010, 11:36 PM
    It seems I'm catching this when it's still a day or so fresh. Obviously, take what anyone says (regardless of credentials, though those do matter) with a grain of salt. Ken Ham or Richard Dawkins, neither is God, both are humans like you and me. To discuss things like dating techniques and the age of the earth, frankly it's not about the evidence. Now I'm yet another human so take this with a grain of salt, but if you put a creation-believing scientist and an evolution-believing scientist in a room looking at the same fossil, access to the same tools for testing or whatever else they need... they'd come to different conclusions. You could have them both going to the same schools, same teachers, same degrees. Presuppositions make a big difference, what they already believe that they are going to use to interpret the evidence with. So ultimately it does come down to faith. What is your starting point, your world view? This is one of the reasons for the controversy over public school education. Which/what worldview do we give our children? There are arguments both ways. Personally I trust the book written by man but inspired by God, that despite the "telephone game" where by now you'd think our Bible would be very different from how it was initially recorded... check out the Dead Sea Scrolls. They include scriptures among the oldest we've ever found (then there's that dating technique issue again) and yet aren't really different from our current King James Version or New American Standard (different translation styles but utlimately as close to word for word translating as you're going to get). Notice that the Bible is still the bestselling book of all time?

On that "a day is as a thousand years and a thousand years is as a day" verse, how can this be used to internet the Genesis word "yom" (I think that's the word)? So yom (basically a time period) could be a thousands years or a day? True, it could. And "bear" could be an animal or a description for dealing with something, etc. Context, context, context. What does Genesis say? "evening and morning, the first day" "evening and morning, the second day" etc. Evening and morning are the context clue that help define the time "yom". If you know another meaning of evening and morning = time than a basic day, please enlighten me.

While Ken Ham is not an authority of science (even he admits that) he does have Ivy-league educated Ph.D. scientists like Dr. Jason Lisle supporting what he says on matters of science. Anyway, Ham is just the "face" of the Answers in Genesis Ministry. If you want a real scientist's opinion, go to Dr. Lisle. He speaks a lot on the topics too.

If you get a chance to go to that Creation Museum, go. I've been there, and while I was impressed with the quality of the place, the information in there is no different from AiG's website except that you can actually sit down with one of the scientists face to face and discuss the topics respectfully with each other.

Mar 19, 2010, 11:45 PM

I was just reading my post for spelling errors (should have done spell check, sorry) and saw "how can this be used to internet the Genesis..." internet should be interpret.

Again on the dating techniques: yes there are many. They are based on assumptions and are not full proof. Look up the 1980's eruption of Mount Saint Helens. We continue to get millions of years from dating that, yet we watched it occur so we know it's not millions of years old. Again, it's not full-proof.

Mar 20, 2010, 02:14 AM

"Does someone has some information to help me fit in creation of dinosaurs in 6500 years?"

I forgot to address this topic. Currently the majority of scientists agree that the famous meteor causing the extinction of the dinos is the most accurate theory.

I love it when media says stuff like that, it makes them look all the sillier when, say the next day, their information changes and they have to change what was so concrete yesterday. This happens all the time.

Here's what we do know: Dinosaur fossils exist, and we find them. I've known logically-minded people that made arguments that dinosaurs never existed, because they never witnessed the dinos and for all they know it was planted. Someone wants to get paid for finding it, etc. I won't say I agree with this.

According to the "literal creation" model, God created dinosaurs in the Creation Week when he created other animals. The sea creatures with the sea creatures, and so on.

Now there's much more to the theory, just as there's much to the evolutionary theory regarding dinos, but in a nutshell: some dino fossils were made before Naoh's Flood, most were made during it, and some were made after it. Some are still forming.

Two of every KIND (not species) went on the Ark to survive the Flood. After that, as with before the Flood, many were killed by people. If dinosaurs are still alive today (and no, I'm referring to the dino > bird thing) the Loch Ness Monster might be one. Dragon legends were probably originally stories of man's encounter with dinos. And there's a big swamp in Africa (I think in/around Congo) that might have them. Mokele Emembe... forgive my spelling if that's wrong.

That's the Young-Earth Creation Model. It leaves no room for millions of years. There are theories like the Gap Theory and The Day-Age Theory, Framework Hypothesis that some people (churches mostly) use because they want to respect mainstream scientists but not lose their faith.

AiG's website goes into all this in much greater detail. If you want some help finding what you're looking for, let me know.

So far this forum has been pretty respectful. Please let that continue. Some people start throwing personal attacks, cuss words and such around.

Mar 20, 2010, 02:18 AM

Another correction (not a spell check error) "and no, I'm refering to the dino > bird thing" meant to say "I'm NOT referring to the dino > bird thing".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old kids movie about dinosaurs [ 5 Answers ]

I think it was with dinosaurs but it could have been some other creature I can't remember for the life of me! Its seriously diving me nuts! All I remember is that it has some human characters who are friends with these dinosaurs or whatever and then at the end sometime the dinosaurs decide to...

What Killed off the Dinosaurs [ 32 Answers ]

I don't know if I put this in the right category but me and my husband were arguing about what killed off the dinosaurs he says the ICEAGE and I say an ASTROID... Now what killed them off?

The extinction of the dinosaurs has been associated with [ 23 Answers ]

I Have a list of possible answers, but am not to sure which one it is. Question:The extinction of the dinosaurs has been associated with Possible Answers: a) a layer of soot containing iridium. b) a meteor impact at the end of the Cretaceous that caused major cooling.

Did Insects Kill the Dinosaurs? [ 3 Answers ]

Question regarding the following article on CNN.com Did Insects Kill the Dinosaurs? Dated Thursday, Jan. 10, 2008 By MICHAEL D. LEMONICK Did Insects Kill the Dinosaurs? - TIME I was curious about the Turonian period when there seems to be a contradiction in planetary environment where the...

Ok: dinosaurs and creatures (90's) [ 2 Answers ]

Ok first movie I can't remember: A boy has all these toy dinosaurs and then somehow they come alive? I just remember his house being really nice and the dinosaurs like playing with his remote control car. Ehh? Second: Ok so little creatures that were really cute, in like a pet store? And the...

View more questions Search