Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    martz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2010, 12:51 AM
    Honda accord engine revs up 4000 rpm and down to 0 rpm when starting
    When starting, Honda Accord '82, engine speed goes very high 4000-4500 rpm, and immediately after that stops. The effect is repetitive. However, after pressing a gas pedal repeatedly 2-3 times per second it is possible to maintain the engine speed in the interval of 2000-3000 rpm, and doing so it is even possible to drive. I suspect it is a
    Carburation/emission control problem, engine does not have idling speed (800-1000 rpm), (Honda Accord, 1982, California model).
    I appreciate any explanation and possible SOLUTION of this problem.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2010, 06:03 AM

You may need to clean and rebuild the carburetor. Afterwards, set the choke pull-off, fast idle, and curb idle. It sounds like the adjustments are way off.

Mar 20, 2010, 06:21 AM
    Carburator moving?
    Honda Accord 1982 California model with Keihin carburator and CVCC engine.
    For some reason, most likely caused by vibration, carburator started moving and is not strongly attached, it moves vertically when lifting (less than 1mm play). The distorted rubber O-ring is even visible from the top and above the throttle. My question is do I need to remove the whole carburator by unscrewing carburator to manifold retaining nuts or is there any other way to fix the problem? This loose connection caused engine revs up to 4500 and back to 0, as I explained in my previous letter.
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2010, 06:34 AM

Remove, clean (Stoddard fluid), rebuild (kits cost $38.99 at AZO), and tighten studs in block. Be bold, do repairs the right way, and learn everything you can about the car--you'll be glad you did. I used to love rebuilding carburetors on Japanese cars and motorcycles. Engineering is superb, with quality O-rings, rather than gaskets, throughout.

Mar 20, 2010, 06:56 AM
    Please indicate, what to you mean by: tighten studs in block? My Honda Haynes manual shows the picture of dismantled carburettor parts, but I do not understand how insulator (attaches carb to manifold) and the rest of carburator are connected (between them are these 2 rubber gaskets). This connection with new gaskets has to be tightened!
    I hope I do need to renew only these to gaskets)
    THANKS very MUCH for your quick answer.
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2010, 07:06 AM

The insulator keeps the engine heat away from the carburetor. It goes over the studs from the manifold. Nuts go over the studs and hold the carburetor to the manifold.

Once you remove the carburetor, you will see how everything fits together. Follow the directions that come with the rebuilding kit. Taking it a step-at-a-time, there's not all that much to it. Obviously, you need to remove much of the "parasitic" items from the carburetor, prior to cleaning it in Stoddard fluid.

If the studs in the manifold are loose (not likely), tighten them. Normally what happens is the insulator block gets saturated with gas and it no longer seals properly. Also, the O-rings get flattened and they no long seal properly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda Civic Si Engine cut (like redline) at 4000 rpm [ 8 Answers ]

2002 Honda Civic Si Today on the way to work my check engine light came on and the engine started to cut, the way it does when you redline, but it's doing it at exactly 4000 rpm, in any gear including neutral. Then on my drive home from work it stopped cutting, but the service engine light...

1992 Honda Accord - RPM jumps [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 1992 Honda Accord 80,000 miles. When I start the car first thing for the day, and start, when the rpm gets to around 3000 the gauge jumps all over. It goes up into the red and back down. The engine does not seem to be over reving or hesitating. After about 20 minutes running all returns to...

88 Civic Wagon: Bogging below 2500 rpm and hard studder and 4000 rpm. [ 7 Answers ]

Hello all: I have a '88 Civic Wagon with 220k on a D15B2 (DPFI) engine. Just recently I have started having the problem above. Mostly once the car is warmed up. The car will choke, sputter, and try to stall even at full throttle below 2500rpm. After 2500 rpm the engine spins to life and runs...

2001 honda civic Hesitation @ 4000 rpm [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2001 honda civic that recently started hesitating when reaching 4000 rpm. It also has two engine codes. P1298 & P1259. I am a diesel mechanic and could usually troubleshoot and fix problems on my own but, this problem is giving me a bit of a challenge.:confused: Any suggestions would be...

1998 honda accord rpm fluctuates at 4000 [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, when I first start the car it can Rev up once past 4000RPM. Any time after that it will not past 4000RPM and it will fluctuate. If I turn off the car and restart, it will past 4000RPM as if I'm resetting something. I recently changed these parts: Throttle body Throttle Position...

View more questions Search