Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wilkelisa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2010, 06:25 PM
    Culture relating to ethnocentrism
    How does real culture and ideal culture relate to ethnocentrism?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2010, 02:17 PM

I think it depends on the person and the particular culture. It seems that cultural ideals are often very unrealistic and push us to want to be something different than what we are. This, I feel, fights against pride in our ethnicity. One experience that comes to mind is that while on vacation in Thailand, I was quite self-concious because I was overweight, the tallest woman anywhere to be seen (5'9") and as an Irish American, I am extremely fair skinned. I was envious of the petite, thin, bronze complected Thai women who I thought were among the most beautiful in the world, but one after another they admired my height, my weight, my very fair skin. To them, I was the picture of good nutrition and health and my skin indicated that I must be rich - I obviously don't work in the sun. They wanted what I had, I wanted what they had. So this was certainly not ethnocentric.

On the other hand, actual culture that we live day to day, I think can either make us less ethnocentric or more, depending on the culture and the person. For example, part of my family culture is to be open to other people and always "cook an extra potato" because we never know who will show up at the table. I grew up with neighbors, friends, strangers, business associates - anyone in need of a home cooked meal- at my mother and grandmothers' tables on a regular basis. We always had extra people at Christmas, too. One year we all sampled Kim Chee from a Korean guest. Another year, we had homemade Tamales from a Mexican guest and another, my Danish then-husband brought Danish herring and pate' made by his mother as a gift for us. We are very into our Irish culture and it is so fun, we want a piece of everyone else's culture, too.

On the other hand, I had a friend who's family were extremist muslim (she was not) and her father forbade her to spend any time with me because I am "too American". Her family disapproved of everything about my culture from the fact that we did not have multiple generations living together, to the fact that we do not practice arranged marriage, to the fact that we are Christian, to the fact that we are feminists. So these people celebrate their culture as much as my family, but their love of their own culture makes them very ethnocentrist, where as the more my family enjoy our culture, the more open we are to other cultures.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2010, 03:33 PM

There are many cultures around the world, all have their guidelines to follow,these have been passed down from each generation to present day.

Some, depending on the religious aspect of their culture, follow these guidelines to the letter,however many cultures follow the general outline of their culture, but leave openings for oppinions that may be voiced from others,this provides democracy within their society... freedom to speak if they wish, without fear of punishment.

I come into contact with several cultures day to day, there is never a problem,some dress differantly to myself, some eat different diets, sometimes there is a speech problem but on the whole we are all fine.

This I would say personally, is ideal culture... everyone getting along,but respecting anothers beliefs and guidelines.

I feel this is because there is no interference from myself to them, or from them to me. We each live within our own guidelines side by side quite happily.

However there are those who follow their culture to the absolute letter, they will not bend one way or another to accommodate any other opinion other than one with in their own culture.
    They will not speak or touch or acknowledge any person outside of their own community.
    They are not interested in intergrating with other cultures.

I find this very sad, I would like to get to know them, their culture and everything that involves, I am genuinly interested in them as people, I would like to help them and be their friend,but they're not allowed to mix with other cultures because of there strict rules... they wouldn't dare.

This is what I call... ethnocentrism or... real culture.

Ethnocentrism... a culture that believes that they are superior above all others.. only they are right in everything they do,they will not acknowledge any other culture.

Real culture = their believe of superiority above all others.
    closed minds to every other culture.

Ideal culture = Whilst they have their own guidelines within there own culture, they respect other cultures, welcoming them with open arms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ideal culture vs. Real culture [ 5 Answers ]

How does ideal culture differ from real culture in U.S. society from other countries?

Difficulty Relating/Bonding [ 14 Answers ]

Hi everyone My problem is I have difficulty relating to and bonding with other people. It's a long story but I think the background is relevant so here goes... I was a shy and quiet child, but somehow always had friends, some of them very close, despite the fact that we moved a lot (not...

What do you understand by the terms mainstream culture and counter culture in referen [ 1 Answers ]

What do you understand by the terms mainstream culture and counterculture in reference to the 1960s, was there one counter culture or were there may different counter cultures, what were the characteristics of the counter movements, was there a straightforward distinction between mainstream culture...

Question relating to probability [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I got a question relating to Probability. I will be thankful to you if I could get a suitable answer along with illustration for this. regards, Murthy Question is : There is Tournment with 50 teams. A Team that lost for 3 matches has to quit the tournment. What would be the...

Relating to [ 3 Answers ]

As an English language learner, when& how should I use "relating to" & "related to"? The difference in using these two words isn't clear to me. Any help.

View more questions Search