Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    5Pickwick5 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2010, 05:49 PM
    Fishy smell one room
    We have a fishy smell in one room in our condo. It's not a dead animal smell, sewer smell, mold smell. We haven't yet moved in so it's not electrical related. Strongest on sunny days -- will abate in the evening. Closing drapes, though, doesn't make a difference (smell also not coming from window). Not coming from heating/ac vents. Have sniffed every place I get can my nose to go and there seems to be no source for the smell. Room was painted in summer. Also new wood floor laid. But neither seem to "smell." Help!
    Anona Jean Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 12:42 AM

OK, we need to define the problem in order to solve it: Your plastic has absorbed some foul-smelling molecules.Plastic expands and contracts fairly easily and this feature allows it to absorb bad smells way better than, say, metal. You need to clean all your home with some powerful cleaners.Metal Beds| Leather Beds
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 08:05 AM

Did the smell startsoon after the summer paint job or the floor was laid?

Mar 31, 2010, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Did the smell startsoon after the summer paint job or the floor was layed?
    The hardwood floor and painting was done throughout the condo so everrything smelled for awhile. Then only this one room. And it continues. Is stronger on sunny days (sun shines in south facing window). Have sniffed every part of the window and nothing is noticeable. In fact, there is no place the smell is stronger than another. Because the ceiling is high (and I can't get to it) I'm wondering if the ceiling is the source. However, the same paint was used on all the ceilings and there is no smell in any of the other rooms.
    Carl17 Posts: 66, Reputation: 9

Mar 31, 2010, 06:14 PM

What kind of wood is on the floor, and what kind of paint was used? Perhaps that will help.

Mar 31, 2010, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl17 View Post
    What kind of wood is on the floor, and what kind of paint was used? Perhaps that will help.
    Oak hardwood. We've isolated samples and they smell like -- wood!
    Paint was no/low VOC on walls and a calcimine recoater on the ceiling which is not low voc, but it's been 6 months and has off-gassed in other rooms long before now. There is absolutely no smell anywhere else in the condo except in this one room.
    Carl17 Posts: 66, Reputation: 9

Mar 31, 2010, 06:41 PM

That is certainly odd, I have no idea what it could be then. Maybe the contractor has encountered it before, or might know how to fix it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fishy Smell [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I built a new home and we have been living here for approx. 14 months. We have two guest rooms on the main floor. There is a bathroom between these two rooms. One of these guest rooms have only been used twice. The first visitor came to us after one night in there and said there was...

Fishy smell [ 11 Answers ]

The other day my boyfriends penis smelt of fish, needless to say, I stopped touching it, is that normal?

Fishy smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have a horrible fishy smell coming from the downstairs vent. I have two air-conditioning units. One that runs the upstairs and one that runs the downstairs. The units themselves are outside. I have had someone come and take a look at the units. The gentlemen took a look in the attic and stated...

Fishy smell coming from room in basement [ 1 Answers ]

We moved into a home where the carpet had to be replaced because of urine. There was a fishy smell coming from the basement... still. I had the air ducts cleaned out and we still smell it coming from one room. It's not all the time either, just sometimes, but its bad. What could it be and how do I...

Fishy smell [ 1 Answers ]

My female great dane seems to have a strong fishy odor every time she licks/cleans between her legs. Is something wrong or is there a remedy for this? She is almost 15 months old, and has just gone through her second heat cycle a few weeks ago. Thanks.

View more questions Search