Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    The4thHenry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2010, 04:40 PM
    Tax law - Inherited stock and sold it - how do you claim it on tax return
    Father passed away on 9/30/2008 - Inherited Stock on 1/27 09 and sold it the same day - how is it reported on schedule D
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 17, 2010, 11:27 PM

Your cost basis of the stocks is the fair market value on 9/30/2008 or any alternative date chosen by personal representative of the estate. Report sale on schedule D. Inheritances: Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax on Inheritances

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to claim German tax treaty for US tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a German national but have become resident in the US because of the substantial presence test. Still, I think I should be able to claim the tax treaty on my scholarship payments, since I am here for less than 2 years. (I collected presence days from an earlier stay). The taxes have been...

Tax on sold inherited house [ 1 Answers ]

How is the amount of tax on a sold inherited propertycalculated if the home sold for less than $100,000?

Tax on inherited property sold abroad [ 2 Answers ]

My wife (a US citizen) inherited 3 acreas of land in Honduras. She recently sold it for $100,000. To date she has only received a down payment of $20,000 of which she had to pay a capital $4000 capital gains tax to Honduras based on the total sales price. The purchaser has run into some...

Tax on inherited property sold overseas [ 2 Answers ]

My parents (non-US citizens) lived overseas and have passed away. On the death of my mother, I inherited their apartment and have recently sold it and intend transferring the proceeds to the US. I am a US citizen, 72 years old, reside in the US and file joint tax returns with my wife. Question:...

Do I pay tax on inherited property sold? [ 7 Answers ]

My brothers and I (4 of us) each inherited equal portions of my mother's house when she died. We sold the house shortly after the estate was settled and each of us received ~ 18,000 (there was no mortgage). Now, I am aware that any gain is taxed as long term no matter how long we owned it, since it...

View more questions Search