Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gracekeshishyan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2010, 04:05 PM
    Can the employer dock a day of work
    I work in a Small Animal Hospital. My manager is saying that she will take one of the days that I am schedule to work from me, because the shoes that I was wearing was not OSHA compliant. Resent papers we signed it said that I cannot wear sandals or open back or open toe shoes. I was not wearing any of that, I was wearing regular flat non slippery, (rubber under need) all around closed shoes. But for some reason my manager is having a problem with that. I have asked to provide me a shoe if she is not happy with what I am wearing, but, she said that she will dock a day by taking a day off from my scheduled work time. Can they do that? I have checked the O S H A web site and Department of Labor Relations and it doesn't say that docking a day is legal. She wrote me up and dock a day. Can someone help me, please? I feel that I am being discriminated because when other co-workers wear similar shoes or ever the open back shoes they are not being written up or taken a day away from their scheduled.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 18, 2010, 05:10 AM

If your employer has written up rules, directives and procedures that are understood and signed by an employee, and that situation is violated, yes, they can dock pay and/or suspend for whatever period they wish.

I work in an environment where procedures have to be understood and signed, and consequences outlined if those procedures and rules are not followed.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my employer dock my salary for giving me a short week w/ pd holiday in it [ 2 Answers ]

The week of New Years, our employer sent everyone home midday the day before New Year's Eve. He told us surprise and enjoy the holiday. My salary was docked $100 for that week. When I asked why, I was told because it was a short week. Mind you, they did NOT do that to my check from Christmas week,...

If you are salary, can the company dock your pay for missed work? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a salaried employee, I was told when I accepted this job that I would make X amount for the entire year. Even though I work untold amounts of overtime, can my company dock my pay for not working a full work week every once in a while?

Employer threatening to dock wages. [ 6 Answers ]

My employer recently sent out a mass e-mail threatening to dock wages if the Dress Code is not adhered to, at the rate of 50 cents per hour for 30 days. They send out secret shoppers and evidently are willing to take the word of the secret shopper as truth. Is this legal? Thanks

Dock Pay for two days.Assumed Dock? [ 6 Answers ]

I was docked for two days and I was there at work, working. I cannot believe the STATE would authorize this, and I won't be "walked all over upon" This really screwed me up because it made my check SHORT... they pulled and turned it around within 4-5 business days, but missed my Pre-Scheduled...

View more questions Search