Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    exsun Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2010, 01:31 PM
    Converting basement window into basement door
    I have a raised ranch house that I've convert the garage into a function room, now I would like to convert one of the garage window into a back door that leads to the backyard. In order to do that we will need to cut through concrete/brick wall but I'm not sure if cutting through it would bring about any foundation/structural damage. I would appreciate any guidance on this project. Thank you very much!
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2010, 05:54 PM

If u do not make the opening any wider then existing window opening u should be fine. The block under window does not carry any weight but the window.

Good luck

Chuck
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2010, 06:03 AM

Even if the brick goes up to a lintel(metal angle iron),the weight is carried through this plate,removal of anything below won't affect the structure.

If you are going to make the opening bigger,then you will have some difficulty,removing the existing lintel and installing new to accommodate the new width, plus overlap on the brick.

A raised ranch?, meaning there is more height above this window than just a few bricks?
    andyxis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2011, 07:03 AM
    It depends on the structural quality of the wall/building where the window is. I think you could cut through the concrete to widen the door opening.

-------------------------------------------
    Basement Entry Systems

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filling basement window [ 1 Answers ]

I need to fill a basement window that is below an existing deck,the previous owner has just used board and it leaks during heavy rain/thaw. Unless I take up the deck I do not access to the outside. Any suggestions how I can do a permanaent fill from the inside.

Converting basement 36" sq shower to bathtub... [ 1 Answers ]

Currently, I have a 36" sq shower in the basement and want to change it to a bathtub. It was put together poorly by the original owner and was molding. I didn't like the layout anyways so want to redo/redesign it. I'd like to put a bathtub in that location. I've attached a sketch of the layout....

Basement window [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently installed two basement windows. I had attached (2) 1 x 6's to the concrete foundation and installed the window to the 2 1x6's with screws. I had used concrete screws to anchor the lumber ( the 2 1x6's)into the concrete. The sills of both windows are slabs of limestone (8 inch...

Converting basement shower to sink [ 1 Answers ]

I built my house ten years ago and had rough ins done for a lav, stool and shower in the basement. The lav and stool have been hooked up for 2 years and work great. However, instead of installing a shower I want to install a kitchen sink with a garbage disposal and dishwasher. The existing stub...

View more questions Search