Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsu0272n Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Mar 17, 2010, 12:57 PM
    <windowsroot>\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt
    So I get this error while trying to boot up and I have no idea how to fix this. I can only go to setup or boot from a cd is there anyway to replace this file without reinstalling windows.
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Mar 17, 2010, 01:25 PM

I found this it looks to be barking up the right tree, good luck
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2010, 04:21 PM

I had replied in your other post of best way to approach this with the situation you have at the moment

Simple answer, repair installation
    Your situation, you have a dual boot and other possible things to take into consideration

Check orig post

Mar 17, 2010, 09:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83 View Post
    I had replied in your other post of best way to approach this with the situation you have at the moment

simple answer, repair installation
    your situation, you have a dual boot and other possible things to take into consideration

Check orig post
    Thank you so much man it worked and saved me a ton of money and time I was just going to wipe everything clean. Now I have to figure out how to delete the second installation any ideas?
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2010, 05:24 PM

Read through carefully before doing anything to make sure understand everything that is posted

Go to windows explorer and see where the 2nd OS was installed to and if a different drive letter - If it was installed to d: drive letter, you can format d:

Once that is done (if it was d: ) post back and can go from there

If you need to delete one Windows Xp copies, and leave only one, here is how you do it:

When you restart your system, and you get a choice of two operating systems, you should choose the one you want to keep installed on your machine.

Once the startup process is done, and your computer is ready to accept tasks to perform certain functions, you click on the "My Computer" icon and locate the hard disks, removable storage devices, and more.

In the hard disk box you should see two drive icons, like "C", "D". If the copy you installed later need to be cancelled, it must reside on the "D" part of the hard disk.

This is because the "C" is where you initial copy of the Windows Xp resides, and it is the one you want to keep installed as the only copy on your computer.

The way you should get rid of the "D" copy is to format the "D" part of the hard disk. Just right click it, and choose format. This will delete the Windows Xp copy you don't need.
    Now if d: already had info on drive, format would not be an option here.

If above is not an option for you, post back with as much detail as can and will see what can do

If was installed on C: as the 2nd OS, post back with as much info as you can including folder names and anything else that may stand out to you.

If you do have on D: and format d:, there will probably have to be an edit in a file but get to above first and just try to give as much info as you can and if any questions before doing any of this, post back and will try to help if can.

Mar 18, 2010, 09:08 PM

Its not in D its in c as a 2nd os and the location is C:\WINDOWS\NEWXP .
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2010, 05:57 PM

well it is a new one to see and reallly not finding any info around on it.

I take it now you boot to the os you want and do not use the new one?

Ok, what you could do is to delete the C:\WINDOWS\NEWXP folder altogether to regain that space back and then to prevent the menu from coming up on start, you need to edit your boot.ini file in c:\ folder

here is example of what you probably have as a boot.ini file as it is now

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    Notice the 2 listed under [operating systems]? You only want 1 listed there and that one being the one you want to keep or have not deleted

This is what is should look like after the edit
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

So, delete the folder new xp and all its' contents

-go to c:\ and right click on boot.ini and choose Edit
    -Notice the 2 example above and you want to edit the 2nd one under operating systems
    -save the file and it's changes

Reboot machine and should be OK

You may still have files left over from the install from the second but most should be gone as you deleted the new xp folder

hope that makes sense, is easy as just delete and edit one file and reboot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

NTFS missing then HAL error on boot [ 5 Answers ]

I have a HP compaq nc8430 that won't boot up ,I had a problem at first removing some antivirus program, so as I didn't have anything worth keeping stored on it, I decided to do a fresh install from the recovery partition on the hard drive,all seemed fine so I then went into my C drive and deleted...

Windows failed to load because the HAL is missing or corrupt [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, When I try to load windows XP to a Dell Optiplex 745 machine I get the following error: \windows\system32\halmacpi.dll Status: 0xc000098 Windows failed to load because the HAL is missing or corrupt I have tried different windows XP discs and same error.

MAPI32.dll corrupt [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to install MS office 2007 and just when it started cancelled because I thought I might loose my e-mails. After that, when I open MS outlook 2003 I get "mapi32.dll corrupt.... please reinstall". If I reinstall MS outlook 2003 will I loose my emails?

Hp pavilion recovery<windows root>system32hal.dll [ 1 Answers ]

I made a mistake of not burning my recovery disks out of the system. Now I have a problem with the system and it is showing this error that Windows could not start because the following file is missing System32\hal.dll. Please reinstall a copy of the above file. Could you please assist so I...

C:windowssystem32gvdcgfc.dll- error [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there Whenever I boot up my system following error dialogbox comes up "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\gvdcgfc.dll The specified Module Could not be found" Only one OK button is there. But noting wrong I found afterwards.

View more questions Search