Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tejalkhot83 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2010, 08:20 AM
    In what country did you claim residence for tax purposes during the tax year?
    What should be the answer to this question?

In what country did you claim residence for tax purposes during the tax year?

I have been in United States from Aug 2006 on F1. My visa status changed to H1-B on oct 1st,2009.

I am filling form 1040NR-eZ.

Thanks in advance!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2010, 05:26 AM

If you are non married, file nonresident tax return and Form 8843. If you have income during F-1, claim treaty deduction.
    amaskmena30 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2010, 07:23 PM

Should it be India, as you are filing 1040 NR... I m not sure..
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 7, 2010, 12:17 AM

Which Form and line you are asking about?

Apr 7, 2010, 07:55 AM

1040NR Page 5
    Question B
    If I am filling 1040 NR which is a non resident form, where should I claim my residency, even If I stayed in US for the tax year (and filing as non resident, due to F-1 status ) and never stayed in the country of my citizenship?

Apr 7, 2010, 10:57 PM

So should it be India for above information?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 8, 2010, 10:49 AM
    Since you are filing as a non-resident alien, your HOME country should the country you claim as residence for tax purposes during the tax year.

In your case, that would be India.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an f-1 in process of residence claim dependents on income tax? [ 1 Answers ]

I posted this new question which is more specifil; I'm form mexico I'm married to us citicen , I filed the documents to star my residenci process, is it OK if on my Income Tax I claim credit for one dependent? Or it will make dificult since I'm getting this credit, thank you I hope you help me.

Time to claim tax refund year 2007 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was working in vail, Colorado the last year with a visa h2b, I want to know, when the time limit is to present form 1040, so I can claim my tax refund. I used to do this in Colorado, but know Iīm living in mexico city, I try to do this by e-file but I couldnīt. I need to know, if I have...

Sample tips for foreigners who wants to claim their dependents for tax purposes. [ 4 Answers ]

I just want to share my experience in filing my tax return. I'm a foreigner working in the United States. If your spouse and child/children are not in the U.S. and you want to claim them as your dependents for tax purposes, here's what I did: 1. Instead of filing my returns through mail, I...

CAn I claim tax if I didn't last year [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , I was on OPT in 2006 and got conevrted to H1 in Oct 2006. 1. I got hiring bonus and relocation in 2006 which I didn't claim in that tax year.Can I claim it in this tax year? 2.If answer to Q1 is yes,What all supporting documents do I need ? 3.Can I claim for tax deductible on my School...

View more questions Search