Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fallen_angel_here_in_this_life Posts: 54, Reputation: -3
    -

Mar 16, 2010, 09:58 PM
    Are there in experts in the course called Humanities?
    I am currently enrolled in a Humanities course, HUM1020 to be precise. My professor assigned a research paper but did NOT provide a specific topic. I must choose my own topic and it must be related to Humanities somehow. I know nothing about humanities and I mainly write about crimes. Can anybody help me? Please give me a topic to write about, dealing with humanities. If possible, try to think of a humanities topic dealing with crime. Thanks!
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2010, 05:11 AM

Workers in the humanities are concerned with the moral, social, and artistic values of a culture and its members. Fields in the humanities include history, religion, philosophy, and linguistics (the scientific study of language).

Most workers in the fine arts and humanities have to compete intensely for job openings. Competition in the performing arts is especially strong. The number of talented performers seeking employment is much greater than the number of jobs available. As a result, many performers also do other kinds of work to help support themselves. Writers and artists also face serious job competition. Some writers and artists are employed by business firms and receive a salary. Others work on their own and earn money by selling their works. However, many of these people must also hold other jobs to support themselves.

Short on-the-job training. Stagehands and certain other workers involved in theatrical and musical productions require only a short training session. Some of the musicians and singers who work in the field of popular music also have little or no training beyond high school.
    -

Mar 18, 2010, 08:33 AM

Thank you so much. Can you relate crime and murders to Humanities in any way? I would like to write about the lack of media coverage given to missing and murdered black children. Can you relate that to Humanities at all? Please help me work Humanities into that subject somehow. That's really what I'd like to write about.
    roxypox Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 328
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2010, 03:10 PM

I'm chiming into this almost a month to late... but what is the main topic of your course (not the paper, but the course!)

Personally, crime is often something you see studied in Sociology, sociology of law or criminology.

(I used to study crimi... )

And currently I study North American Area studies... which is a part of the faculty of humanities at my University.

When it comes to Crime as a subject in humanities, it would help to look at what the main topics within the course it self: are you looking at specific countries, social groups or times... does your course focus on history, philosophy, language, art etc etc?

Because there are so many different ways to look at crime to be quite honest with you... so knowing those specifics would help.

(and yes, I do realize that I'm most likely chiming in a bit to late for this to be helpful... )

Roxy
    -

Apr 16, 2010, 05:46 PM

I wrote an essay... Can you review it and tell me if you think it's good enough to go?? Am Ioff-topic or is this a good paper for a humanities course?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many people in this country are opposed to the death penalty. They refer to it as "cruel and unusual punishment". But if you really think about it, certain
    Killers beg for a death sentence. The murder of six-year-old Christopher Barrios is a prime example of a case where death is warranted. The little boy was kidnapped, repeatedly raped and murdered by a trio of pedophiles in Georgia in March of 2007. No one who is honest can deny that there is no justification for what happened to Christopher.

People argue that the death penalty is inhumane and raise questions of humanity. When it comes killers like the ones who killed Christopher Barrios, we should not consider humanity. Such murderers are driven by animal instinct and should be treated accordingly. Clearly, the three people charged with his murder are guilty. The evidence against them is overwhelming. Not to mention the confessions that were made by the defendants. Thus, there should be no people called for jury duty, no court hearings and no appeals. All three defendants should be executed immediately.

Christopher Barrios' pictures reflect a kid that even the meanest human would want to hold and kiss. Light skinned with big green eyes, he resembled a child super model. No degree of insanity can cause a human to destroy such beauty and innocence. It is doubtful that cold-blooded killers like the ones who took Christopher's live will ever be concerned with the pain they have caused. The need for justice demands however, that they and their kind be found and quickly separated from the rest of humanity.

Another argument by the anti-death activists is that innocent people are convicted and sentenced to die. The 1985 murder case of Shandra Whitehead is evidence of this. The little girl was raped and murdered by a fuzzy-haired black man who appeared "disheveled and poor." Later that night, police arrested a man fitting that description, who was seen lurking in her neighborhood. Despite the lack of DNA evidence, Frank Lee Smith was convicted of Shandra's murder and was sentenced to die. He later died
    In prison. One month after his death, authorities learned that the DNA on Shandra's body did not belong to the man they had arrested but to another man in prison, Eddie Mosley. A person should never be sentenced to die without concrete evidence linking them directly to the crime. Cases like this one causes people to turn against the death penalty. The actual killer of Shandra should be executed, but men who simply fit her killer's description should not. Being one's look alike is not a crime, let alone a death penalty
    Crime.

The death penalty should be considered in cases where there are aggravating circumstances surrounding the murder. An aggravating circumstance could be kidnapping the victim, raping the murder victim or premeditating the crime. The murder of Lisa Crider included all three of these aggravating circumstances. The 23-year-old woman was kidnapped and
    Raped by two men. They drove around for about an a hour searching for a spot to kill the helpless woman. When she realized that they were planning to kill her, she cried and begged them to spare her life. "I have two kids, please don't kill me I'll do anything," she said, crying and sniffling. Nonetheless, the men found a spot along a river, where they stood Lisa Crider up and shot her execution style. In this case, lethal injection was used to kill the murderers. The combination of drugs used in lethal injections can cause excruciating pain. It is no wonder that officials chose this form of
    Execution rather than electrocution. These killers certainly did not deserve to die in peace.

Not only child killers but child molesters are also living species whom should be deprived of life on Earth. Christopher Barrios' murder could have been prevented had there been harsher sentences for sex offenders. His killer, George Edenfield, was a convicted pedophile who had molested his own daughter, years earlier. This man should not have been free to commit a murder, after molesting his child. If he'd do it to his own, he would do
    Much worse to anybody else.

In a similar case, Nine-year-old Jessica Lunsford was abducted from her home and buried alive by John Couey, a convicted sex offender whom lived within sight of her home. John Couey had even worked at Jessica’s school. Officials claim to be so civilized yet they allow sex offenders to work at schools and lurk amongst our children. It goes beyond Jessica Lunsford and Christopher Barrios, there are countless children like them--children who could have been saved had authorities not practiced "humanity". If we are going to have such practice, let's consider it with actual humans and not species like the killers of Jessica and Christopher.
    -

Apr 16, 2010, 06:08 PM

Here's a paper I wrote for my humanities class. I kinda focused on this little boy's case throughout the essay.

Many people in this country are opposed to the death penalty. They refer to it as "cruel and unusual punishment". But if you really think about it, certain
    Killers beg for a death sentence. The murder of six-year-old Christopher Barrios is a prime example of a case where death is warranted. The little boy was kidnapped, repeatedly raped and murdered by a trio of pedophiles in Georgia in March of 2007. No one who is honest can deny that there is no justification for what happened to Christopher.

People argue that the death penalty is inhumane and raise questions of humanity. When it comes killers like the ones who killed Christopher Barrios, we should not consider humanity. Such murderers are driven by animal instinct and should be treated accordingly. Clearly, the three people charged with his murder are guilty. The evidence against them is overwhelming. Not to mention the confessions that were made by the defendants. Thus, there should be no people called for jury duty, no court hearings and no appeals. All three defendants should be executed immediately.

Christopher Barrios' pictures reflect a kid that even the meanest human would want to hold and kiss. Light skinned with big green eyes, he resembled a child super model. No degree of insanity can cause a human to destroy such beauty and innocence. It is doubtful that cold-blooded killers like the ones who took Christopher's live will ever be concerned with the pain they have caused. The need for justice demands however, that they and their kind be found and quickly separated from the rest of humanity.

Another argument by the anti-death activists is that innocent people are convicted and sentenced to die. The 1985 murder case of Shandra Whitehead is evidence of this. The little girl was raped and murdered by a fuzzy-haired black man who appeared "disheveled and poor." Later that night, police arrested a man fitting that description, who was seen lurking in her neighborhood. Despite the lack of DNA evidence, Frank Lee Smith was convicted of Shandra's murder and was sentenced to die. He later died
    In prison. One month after his death, authorities learned that the DNA on Shandra's body did not belong to the man they had arrested but to another man in prison, Eddie Mosley. A person should never be sentenced to die without concrete evidence linking them directly to the crime. Cases like this one causes people to turn against the death penalty. The actual killer of Shandra should be executed, but men who simply fit her killer's description should not. Being one's look alike is not a crime, let alone a death penalty
    Crime.

The death penalty should be considered in cases where there are aggravating circumstances surrounding the murder. An aggravating circumstance could be kidnapping the victim, raping the murder victim or premeditating the crime. The murder of Lisa Crider included all three of these aggravating circumstances. The 23-year-old woman was kidnapped and
    Raped by two men. They drove around for about an a hour searching for a spot to kill the helpless woman. When she realized that they were planning to kill her, she cried and begged them to spare her life. "I have two kids, please don't kill me I'll do anything," she said, crying and sniffling. Nonetheless, the men found a spot along a river, where they stood Lisa Crider up and shot her execution style. In this case, lethal injection was used to kill the murderers. The combination of drugs used in lethal injections can cause excruciating pain. It is no wonder that officials chose this form of
    Execution rather than electrocution. These killers certainly did not deserve to die in peace.

Not only child killers but child molesters are also living species whom should be deprived of life on Earth. Christopher Barrios' murder could have been prevented had there been harsher sentences for sex offenders. His killer, George Edenfield, was a convicted pedophile who had molested his own daughter, years earlier. This man should not have been free to commit a murder, after molesting his child. If he'd do it to his own, he would do
    Much worse to anybody else.

In a similar case, Nine-year-old Jessica Lunsford was abducted from her home and buried alive by John Couey, a convicted sex offender whom lived within sight of her home. John Couey had even worked at Jessica’s school. Officials claim to be so civilized yet they allow sex offenders to work at schools and lurk amongst our children. It goes beyond Jessica Lunsford and Christopher Barrios, there are countless children like them--children who could have been saved had authorities not practiced "humanity". If we are going to have such practice, let's consider it with actual humans and not species like the killers of Jessica and Christopher.
    roxypox Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 328
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2010, 07:02 PM
    What did you get on this essay? Was it accepted?

OK... the rest of my post might sound a bit harsh... but it is my honest opinion and it is based on my experience within both social science and especially HUMANITIES... also my experience from 8 years of studying academic subjects as well as my opinion as an academic.

Personally, I feel that even though you talk about HUMANITY as a subject that it doesn't nec fit within a humanities course...

e.g. like claiming that it is obvious that the people charged in the case is guilty because the evidence is overwhelming...

1.first of all one should never use words such as: obviously, naturally... it is evident that... especially not when you speak about a subject and a case where something's remain uncertain.. and I am referring to the case of the fist kid you write about.

2. Be careful when you make such claims as:

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen_angel_here_in_this_life View Post
    In this paragraph you make a lot of claims you have no way of backing up. They only reflect your opinion on the subject which should be edited out to a large extent. When writing essays we do encounter certain subjects (or even chose to write about certain subjects) which make it difficult to keep our personal opinions out of the way... but in this passage you def make claims that you don't back up in any way... because YOU have NO WAY of knowing how the meanest of people would react to the picktor of this kid... in other words this passage is full of ASSUMPTIONS... and asumptions should be avoided at all cost!

3. Any essay you write for school should contain refferences to articles, essays, and books that have been written by someone other than yourself... i.e. the essay would have been a lot more balanced and better if you had included someone else's opinions on the subject of death penalty other than your own.

Any essay written, whether its within humanities or social science needs to be backedup by evidence... i.e. written pieces on the subject that can serve as an example of what you are trying to get a cross.

E.g.

When writing about the death penalty you should do a search in your schools database and look for books/articals. Your school prob also have access to jstor.org which is a good resource when it comes to articles on an array of sources/articles.

When doing such a search you can look for what has been written on the subject, what are the different opinions on the subject... after doing this you can use your cases as examples when writing about the death penalty in a broader scope...

I know I already mentioned this... but when witing an essay, even within humanities which is a type of study that often makes a lot of different types of writing available, you should avoid writing essays that reflect your opinion alone!

Best of luck though

And sorry if this sounded a bit harsh, it comes from a wellmeaning place! ;)

Also sorry for the late reply, hope its still useful to you.

Roxy
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 07:41 PM

So you like crime, I love Sci Fi, but I did not talk about Sci FI when I did my masters work.

College is to teach you how to think about subects, in the years of classes you took, now you should know what the teachers were teaching, what idea your professor has on the subject. So you write from material you studied,

Now it does not matter that you like crime, they don't care you like it, they only care if you can relate the subject material in the view point that they believe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do the experts think? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently inherited some commercial property with no mortgage. I want to start my own business but my savings are very limited. My question is... can I take out, or would I even qualify for a mortgage on the property that I now own, to start my business? The property has a rental income of appx....

For the experts [ 3 Answers ]

I'll try to kep this as short as possible, though I want to give you as much info as I can. I'm looking at a property that's been re-wired and while it's a nice, clean job I'm curious about a couple of things. They moved the panel from its original location (back to back from meter socket on garage...

Hello to All AC experts [ 7 Answers ]

I have to ask a very common question that baffles me. I have fixed this problem before with new Capacitor and new fan motor but this time it did not fix the problem. I went to bed at 3:30am and AC was working by 5:30am when wife woke up it was not working. So when I opened up the side panel I...

View more questions Search