Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ndouglas4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2010, 02:26 PM
    A lawyer has filed judgement against me, but I never received a court date.
    I was served with a summons and responded by agreeing to payment arrangements. After 6 months of payment arrangements they entered a judgement and judgement was granted. Is it legal not to provide me with a court date?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 16, 2010, 03:33 PM

You say you responded to the plaintiff. Did you ever respond to the court that issued the summons? If not, then you screwed yourself. By not responding they were able to get a default judgement. You MIGHT be able to vacate the judgement by showing you were never informed of a court date and that you thought, by agreeing to a payment plane, you were forestalling litigation. But it's a longshot.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 16, 2010, 06:07 PM

Was there not a date on the "summons" ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Judgement Found when lawyer was not in court [ 6 Answers ]

My business was in a law suit for property that was mine in a building that was bought while my business was a tenate and they properties were not part of the purchase but they new owner was not informed by their agent at the time of sale. Anyhow they felt they were due these items and wanted to...

Custody court date assigned, but not lawyer [ 14 Answers ]

My husband is currently seeking custody of his children in NY State and at the initial hearing, both parents asked for a continuation in order to seek counsel. My husband applied for a lawyer through the clerk's office and I assume his ex-wife did as well since she often makes reference to her...

Awaiting lawyer to get court date for a year [ 10 Answers ]

I am in the middle of a lawsuit where my daughter was injured. It's an open and shut case (the school is responsible and will have to pay) but of course for the last three years we've been getting jerked around by the lawyers and I'm tired of this whole last year being told (as my lawyer always...

Default Judgement for Lawyer missing court date [ 4 Answers ]

A default judgement was granted against me in the amount of $100,000 for my attorney missing court. We filed a motion to reconsider and was granted a new trial in open court. However, the judge did not sign the order for another month and we lost the appeal is the state appellate court. I have nor...

View more questions Search