Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charleen 1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2006, 11:42 AM
    Child abuse charges
    Child abuse charges how long do they last I'm looking in to foster care and would like to know how long do family file stay open in New York
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2006, 11:51 AM
    Hello charleen:

"Family file" with whom? Children Protective Services?? I'll bet they keep their file open forever. What makes you think they'll close it? What does a closed file mean to you - that it can't be found??

If you had criminal charges filed against you, that arrest record will last forever. If you were convicted of child abuse, that conviction will last forever.

However, if you want to be a foster parent, all you have to do is apply. If they tell you yes, then yes. If they tell you no, then no. But, don't apply and then lie. And, don't you dare hurt anymore children.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 30, 2006, 11:53 AM
    Even closed files are public record, if criminal charges were filed, they will be on NCIC forever.

If there were charges and they were unfounded, and the case was closed, then CPS has a record, but it would not go against you.

Nov 30, 2006, 11:56 AM
    For your in for I have not hurt any children I what to know so I can adopt a child I know was hurt and just because some one what's some info on a supject dose not mean thaty hurt someone
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 30, 2006, 11:58 AM
    Charleen, read your original question again. It is rather vague and it sounded like you were the one who committed the abuse. Nowhere did you mention it was the child you wanted to foster that was abused.

Unfortunately, this is what happens sometimes when there is not enough info.
    Expert

Nov 30, 2006, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by charleen 1
    child abuse charges how long do they last im looking in to foster care and would like to know how long do family file stay open in new york
    This is how it sounds to us:

I was charged with child abuse a long time ago and I was wondering if that record is still open or if it has been closed. I would like to be a foster mother, but I am unsure if I can because of the charges.

See how we can misread someone when there is not enough info? No one meant to accuse you of anything, but that is how it sounded.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2006, 12:02 PM
    *** post deleted ***

Nov 30, 2006, 12:03 PM
    Even if it was vage dost not give anyone rights to say that I hurt a child by telling me to never hurt a child agine
    Expert

Nov 30, 2006, 12:04 PM
    Read it again, and again. You made it sound like you were the one who hurt the child.
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2006, 12:14 PM
    *** post deleted ***

Nov 30, 2006, 12:17 PM
    Dose not matter I have never been a rested like con was and I have a learing didabilty and it sond right to me so some who dost not know things about pepole should not say things about some I was asking a ? Not asking someone to juge me
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2006, 12:20 PM
    Done posting here. Dead thread to me. Going nowhere.
    Expert

Nov 30, 2006, 01:03 PM
    I am with you KP. I am outa here. There is no way it will get any further.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child abuse charges [ 5 Answers ]

I was babysitting a one year old boy in my home for about a month. He has a 4 yr.old sister that started getting off the school bus at my house. She came on a Thursday, and then the following Friday. That Friday night, the parents called, I was not home, but returned their call. They said the boy...

Pressing charges [ 3 Answers ]

How much does it cost to press charges against a private citizen

Credit Card Charges [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, Its my first time on here so hello to all. Quick question. I have a charge on my credit card that I do not recognize. I also do not have a receipt for it. Do merchants keep itemized receipts for purchases. For example, would I be able to get an itemized receipt from my credit...

Move out charges. What should I pay for? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Could anybody give me a good advice? We've rented our apartment for almost 3 years. Recently we moved out. Today I receive a Statement of Move Out Charges Balance Owing. The most interesting charges are: 1. Odor elimination at the following cost - $120 - Excessive odor in the...

View more questions Search