Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cyberkuz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2010, 01:20 PM
    30 amp breaker feeding outside building with dryer and freezer and lights would this
    30 amp breaker feeding outside building with dryer and freezer and lights would this cause the dryer to tumble but not heat up?
    I change the breaker in the main box to a 60 amp breaker from the stove and put the stove on the 30 amp breaker everything seems to be working fine now. But is it safe?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 15, 2010, 01:39 PM

You are open to some very serious fire hazards.

According to the electrical code, you cannot replace a 30 amp breaker with a 60 amp breaker. This will allow the cabling to get much hotter that it is designed to be and fire can and usually does follow. Nor can you replace a 60 amp breaker with a 30 amp breaker. A 30 amp breaker will trip to soon.

If the 30 amp going to the dryer, freezer is not supplying enough amperage, then you need to correct the entire circuit.

For example, a 30 amp circuit use #10 AWG conductors. A 40 amp requires #8 AWG conductors.

What you have to do is look at the stove and verify what the required amperage need is. 60 amps is to high. Also, verify the requirement for the dryer. If the dryer requires 30 amp and it is on a circuit that has a constant on device (freezer) then you might want to consider putting the light and freezer on their own 20 amp circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I tapinto the line side of a100 amp main breaker to feed a 60 amp breaker service [ 1 Answers ]

Can I tap into the line side of a 100 amp main breaker to feed a 60 amp breaker for a electric stove

Can you use number 12 wire for lights with a 20 amp breaker [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between a 15 amp outlet and a 20 amp outlet

Number of high hat lights on a 15 amp breaker [ 2 Answers ]

How many high hat lights with 75 watt bulbs be put on a 15 amp breaker

Install a dryer 30 amp circuit breaker 10/2 wire [ 1 Answers ]

I recently installed a 30 amp 2 pole circuit breaker using 10/2 w/ground for a new dryer. At the box, I wired the 10/2 w/ground black to one side and the white to one side of the 30 amp 2 poled breaker and the ground to the side bar for ground. I also installed a three prong receptacle, wiring...

Tripping dryer breaker - faulty dryer or breaker? [ 6 Answers ]

Our electric dryer is connected to a dedicated 240 V circuit (two linked 30 A breakers). It has tripped a couple of times. The last time, every time I tried to restart the dryer, the breaker would trip. In an effort to isolate the problem, I tried starting the dryer with the heat off, and about 50%...

View more questions Search