Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    13catlady Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2010, 07:39 AM
    Our freestar will not go into gear, it feel like the gears are loose.
    We stopped at a stop sign and the van would not go forward. It will not go into reverse either. It feels loose when shifting. It is an automatic.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2010, 07:43 AM

When was the last time you checked the level of the transmission fluid?

Likely it was low and you toasted the transmission.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2010, 07:57 AM

Automatic transmissions are the weak link in vehicles. The pan should be dropped and cleaned, filter replaced, and refilled with the proper transmission fluid (Mercon V on Fords) every 30,000 miles. I recommend only using Mobil 1 Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF or Amsoil Synthetic Universal ATF for improved performance, gas mileage, and margin of safety.

After fixing your current problem, which sounds like several clutch packs may be shot, here's how to easily service the transmission:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1873132

If the current fluid is dark or smells burned, that would be prima facie evidence that you are likely facing a rebuild or replacement situation. Did the Check Engine Light come on and were there any codes?

Transmission work is best left to the dealer.

Mar 16, 2010, 07:55 AM

The Transmission fluid was checked earlier that day and was okay, correct color. We stopped at the stop sign and then could not go forward. The engine light did not come on either. Could it be the linkage?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2010, 07:58 AM

It's possible. How many miles are on the car?

Read the section about automatic transmission gear position switch:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post258005

See if you think that may be the situation. Ford uses a Transmission Range Sensor:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1955415

Mar 16, 2010, 09:26 AM

106,000+
    We just paid it off too. We are hoping it not the transmission. The fluid is fine I asked my husband and he checked again yesterday. I have printed what you listed and will give them to him. I only know about old cars 66 lincolns & bugs. I know very little about the new computer gizmos. Thanks for your help.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2010, 09:34 AM

If your van will start in park and neutal , this means your linkage is still working , and the problem would be inside the tranny.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cable to shift the gears. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Troybilt Chipper Vac Bought from Troybilt and made by Gardenway in about 1993 or 1994. I have broken the cable that shifts the transmission. I would like to find a company that can make me a new shifter cable. Van

Loose weight or loose my marriage! [ 60 Answers ]

I have been married for about 12 years , my husband has always had a problem with my weight. I have never been hugely overweight just a little pudgy.At one time I lost a lot of weight and got down to a size 4. I am now at the most I have ever weighed.180 size 12/14 See the thing is, for the past...

99 ford tauras er loose won't change gears [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1999 Ford Tauras that I drove and when I stopped and put it in park, it would not go into park. I think it may be a shifter linkage to the transmission?? Does anyone know what this might cost me?

View more questions Search