Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JimfromSTL Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2010, 07:03 PM
    Grabbing power from a switched light
    I have power to a light fixture that then goes on to a switch... I would like to grab power from the cable going to the light fixture and run it to a receptacle (in another room). The cable is in my unfinished attic so its very convienent to create a junction... but I am curious if that would essentially create a circuit that would keep my light on or conversely, turning the light on would create a problem.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 14, 2010, 08:32 PM

So are you saying you can read a hot wire at the light even with the switch in the off position?

Mar 15, 2010, 03:51 AM

I have not tested yet... just got to poundering the connection when I was on a plane... but I think your question suggest that there is no/should not be any power unless the switch is on... duh that makes sense... sorry for the inane question...
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 15, 2010, 04:38 AM

If what you are saying is correct, that you have unswitched power power going to the ceiling fixture. You can do what you propose.

If what you are saying is correct you will have only two wires in the switch box, black and white, and both will be connected to the switch.

Mar 15, 2010, 05:40 AM

Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor wiring of switched plug and constant power to motion light [ 1 Answers ]

I need a wiring diagram to control a switched receptacle and a motion light. The power to the motion light must be constant. The power to the receptacle switched. Any help would be appreciated.

Switched outlets show low power when off [ 6 Answers ]

New member! Thanks in advance to all who try and help me out... here is my situation/setup: I'm remodeling a bathroom serviced by a single (gfci) circuit. Where the circuit entered the room, in the junction box it was pigtailed off to supply power to an outlet and a vanity light. I wanted to...

Hair dryer will not blow on high power but will when switched to low [ 1 Answers ]

A hair dryer will not blow on high. It works when switched to low power. And when you plug it into a different outlet, it works fine on high and low. What's wrong with the first outlet?

Can light turn on and off while switched on [ 3 Answers ]

When my can lights in my kitchen, hallway and living room are turned on some of them turn off seemingly in no particular order. There is a sound that is mechanical when this happens, like a click, almost like they are to hot and there is a safety switch. I have installed 60 watt light bulbs and it...

Light at own home produces sound when light at neighbor's house is switched on [ 4 Answers ]

I've moved into an apartment. I noticed that whenever I switched on my fluorescence light and when my neighbor switches on his light, my fluorescence light would produce a 'rrrrr' or 'mmm' sound which sometimes can be loud and irritating. I have tried changing the light bulb and even the ballast...

View more questions Search