Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blondiechika05 Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Nov 30, 2006, 09:26 AM
    Stress on the Job
    I'm not sure if this is the right subtopic for this but here goes.

I've been working at OfficeMax for about a week and a half. I'm a cashier and I also do customer service duties (returns, answering phones, etc.) I was supposed to work a 10 am - 3 pm shift today but was sent home after just under an hour because I had a stress/panic attack. This was to be my sixth day in a row because I worked Saturday, was supposed to be off Sunday but was called in, and worked Monday, Tuesday and yesterday. I'm also scheduled to work tomorrow 10 am - 5pm.

I guess my question is, will my panic attack have a big affect on my job status? Will the managers be watching to see if it's a repeat problem and hold it against me, or will they take into consideration the fact that I'm a new employee who has been doing fairly well so far (including being named a Sales Leader a couple of days ago), does extra hours when asked, and just isn't used to handling customers and answering phones at the same time, including not being able to answer half the questions I'm asked, yet?

I'm not concerned about losing the day's pay since I did the same amount of hours on Sunday that I would have done today. I'm more concerned about being able to keep my job.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 30, 2006, 09:52 AM
    It is nothing you can control, what your boss does or does not think,

Worry over what he may or can do, won't help you at all, and only makes your stress worst.

He could come in tomorrow wearing a chicken suit and start break dancing, you can't control it or stop it.

So you can't answer 1/2 the questions, that makes you 1/2 smarter than most of the people waiting on me at walmart and most of the office max stores I have ever shoped at. Since most can't answer any of my questions.

And you answer the phone, and put them on hold while You finish with one customer and so on, you are making worry out of something you don't need to worry about.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2006, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by blondiechika05
    I'm not sure if this is the right subtopic for this but here goes.

I've been working at OfficeMax for about a week and a half. I'm a cashier and I also do customer service duties (returns, answering phones, etc.) I was supposed to work a 10 am - 3 pm shift today but was sent home after just under an hour because I had a stress/panic attack. This was to be my sixth day in a row because I worked Saturday, was supposed to be off Sunday but was called in, and worked Monday, Tuesday and yesterday. I'm also scheduled to work tomorrow 10 am - 5pm.

I guess my question is, will my panic attack have a big affect on my job status? Will the managers be watching to see if it's a repeat problem and hold it against me, or will they take into consideration the fact that I'm a new employee who has been doing fairly well so far (including being named a Sales Leader a couple of days ago), does extra hours when asked, and just isn't used to handling customers and answering phones at the same time, including not being able to answer half the questions I'm asked, yet?

I'm not concerned about losing the day's pay since I did the same amount of hours on Sunday that I would have done today. I'm more concerned about being able to keep my job.

Hi, Your boss should be watching to see if this condition is going to be a problem in the future, a concerned employer would, especially since your probably on a probationary period now? He's going to have to evaluate to see if this occurs when the crowds are at your register or if it's random. He's going to take a lot into consideration, but consider that if this condition reoccurs it could affect your job and the safety of money in the drawer. Some not so nice customers could take advantage of he situation. Since you work for a good company with a good reputation, at this point you should be OK, maybe take a minute and discuss it with him, this way there will no guessing at how it could affect your status with the company. Tell him or your supervisor that you love your job and will work on ways to contain this problem, And then look into ways to do this. As long as your doing your best, and it looks like you have, if you've been named Sales leader, worrying about this instead of talking to him, is adding more stress to you. Keep working hard, show a lot of self motivation, and don't be late for work during this period. These are areas they look into very closely. Try to relax, it's a new job and a new opportunity, try to enjoy it a little more and maybe that will help your panic attacks.:D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too much stress [ 4 Answers ]

I really don't know I feel like crap today and I don't know why I mean I had an OK day in school I had to go see this consulier today witch I hate because you I hate telling my life story to some strangers but what ever then there is this stupid kid that I had a past with telling me lies and stuff...

Stress? [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if these are stress related symptoms. Everything started 3 weeks ago. I suffered from a 100 degree fever and horrible body aches for only 1 day. Then a severe migraine that lasted a week. (By the way I have never ever had a migraine before that.) Followed by upset stomach...

Stress [ 1 Answers ]

Why do you think it is important for people to deal with stress? Need lots of opinions doing a survey thing

Stress: [ 8 Answers ]

Tell me a few Christian ways to reduce stress! HANK :)

View more questions Search