Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fluff823 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2010, 09:41 AM
    If I live in PA and work in NY will I have to have both taxes taken out of my check?
    I live in PA and work for a corporation in NY State. I have PA state taxes taken out of my check, but not NY states taxes. When I file at tax time, will I have to also pay NY state tax? Should I have both PA and NY states taxes taken out of me during this year or what?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 14, 2010, 10:53 PM

If you are living and working in PA, you do not owe NY state tax. You do not have NY income. All your worldwide income is PA income.

If you are present in NY to work, then you have NY income. Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 15, 2010, 06:13 AM

Since you commute to work in NY, you should have NY taxes withheld from your pay, as your income earmed in NY State is taxable there. You will have to file a non-resident NY State tax return, as well as a resident PA tax return. On the PA return you report all income, but take a credit for income tax paid to other jurisdictions (NY State in this case), and that credit will make it so you don't owe PA any tax on the income you earn in NY (since NY State's tax rates are generally higher than PA's).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Live in NH, work for MA company, if relocated to work from home, what about taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

Here is the situation: I currently live in NH and work for a MA company. So far I have been filing as non-resident MA tax. I have a possibility to relocate to my home in NH instead of the office in MA. Here are my questions: 1. Will MA taxes still be deducted from my pay? 2. Should I...

Live & work in NY but work for same employer elsewhere.taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in NY and am employed in NY but am sent to work in other states when needed. Am I required to file taxes for every state they send me to work in, or just NY?

Live and Work in NJ; Employer Only Took out GA Taxes [ 5 Answers ]

I live and work in NJ. My employer is based in GA and, on my W2, only withheld federal and GA state taxes. I'm assuming I need to file a nonresident state return in GA as well as a resident return in NJ, and that on the NJ form I'll complete the section for taxes paid to another jurisdiction....

Live in MA, work in CT - taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I live in MA and maybe taking up a job in CT. What are the tax repercussions? Thanks!

I work in NJ but live in NY, how much taxes will I pay? [ 5 Answers ]

I currently work in NJ, but I live in NY... Will I have to pay both state taxez and if so how much? I am married with no children and I make 27,000. I'm also having trouble filling out my W4 form (or is it W2? ). Should I choose "married, but withhold higher rate..." or should I just choose...

View more questions Search