Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simian Posts: 43, Reputation: 4

Mar 14, 2010, 08:29 AM
    Delaying periods with birth control?
    I have been taking Apri (generic Desogen, a monophasic pill) for about a year (before that I took ortho-cyclen for a few years). I have a tendency to skip placebos to delay my period (I don't usually skip it altogether, I just delay it by a week or 2), which my doctor said was fine to do.

Usually when I start taking the placebos, it takes 3 days before my period starts. I started thinking, if I have sex during these 3 days, am I putting myself at risk for getting pregnant? Wouldn't that have the same effect as missing active pills? I looked at the pill directions, and it tells you what to do if you miss pills during weeks 1-2 or during week 3, but since I've delayed my period a couple of weeks, I don't know which week I would technically be on, and maybe it doesn't matter because I am supposed to be taking the placebos anyway.

I'm not overly concerned, it's more of a hypothetical question, it just seemed weird that you can't miss active pills, but do you get the same protection when you are taking placebos?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2010, 08:56 AM

Maybe that has something do do with the pill being less than 100% effective?
    Fyi, I've been told by my dr it's OK to just skip your period by skipping the inactive pills and going straight through the next pack. Seems like it would get too confusing to only delay it and then be on a different week and all that.
    simian Posts: 43, Reputation: 4

Mar 14, 2010, 09:00 AM

It is confusing to just delay periods, but insurance will only pay for a certain number of pills per year, so if I skip them altogether, I end up running out of active pills way before the prescription ends. I tend to delay periods for things like my boyfriend being in town, being on vacation, etc.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2010, 09:02 AM

I see. Yeah. Insurance companies can be like that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taken off birth control, possibly conceived, back on birth control? [ 9 Answers ]

So, the day my period ended I ended up having unprotected sex, and a week later started feeling really sick to my stomach, I could smell everything, I had horrible headaches, I couldn't find anything I wanted to eat, I was moody all the time, all the typical signs, except no missed period. I took a...

Delaying periods [ 1 Answers ]

How can I delay my period for a few days

Birth Control causes birth defects? [ 1 Answers ]

So I take Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and was reading some info about it and noticed that it said you should not take it if you are pregnant (obviously!) because it causes birth defects. So then I started wondering, what if you are taking it and for some reason it doesn't work and you end up pregnant (as...

Starting Birth Control and Periods [ 1 Answers ]

I stopped taking birth control pills about 3 months ago. I am going to see mylong distance boyfriend in a month and I want to start taking birth controlagain so that we don't have to use condoms and also so that I can be assured Iwon't get my period (as I'm very irregular now and I want to be able...

Birth control shot and no periods. Could I be pregnant? [ 5 Answers ]

I had my last period end of November, got my first birth control shot (Depo pro something) on the first of December. My doctor told me to wait a week at least to have sex. I didn't have sex until the 23rd of December to be safe and he pulled out. And it is now January 12 and I still haven't got my...

View more questions Search