Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    radio309 Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2010, 03:39 AM
    Gold and Silver
    I saw on CNBC that gold and silver can go up in deflation times. I learned in school that gold and silver go up doing inflation when the dollar sinks. The experts on CNBC do not always explain themselves.Thanks in advance for the help.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 14, 2010, 07:44 AM

What is going on is that those metals are a resource based metal. And gold has a universal value along with silver. Both are used in industrial as well as ornamental applications. When the value of the dollar goes down the gold can go up because it can hedge the value ( universal ). When the dollar goes up it keeps pace because of its inhierent value. But if the supply goes up ( not many buyers and more sellers ) then the price can adjust causing either metal to crash.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

White gold vs silver [ 8 Answers ]

How do you tell the difference between white gold and silver?

JFK/Double Eagle Gold and Silver 25th Anniversary Coin [ 6 Answers ]

I have a coin that has a gold inlay of Kennedy's face on the front with silver as the rest of the coin (except the double eagles on the back which are also gold). His name is engraved in the silver above his portrait and there are four stars on each side surrounding/under his portrait. The date...

Does 925 gold plated silver tarnish [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a gold plated bracelet stamped 925 plated over silver. Aperson I showed it to say's it is chaep and not worth what I paid, and will turn the wearers skin green. Is there any truth to their statement?

View more questions Search