Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    galfam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2006, 07:32 AM
    Last month's rent payment
    I recently gave 60 days notice on my lease. I am now at my last month's payment due.
    I did however have to prepay first and last months rent at the beginning of the lease. My landlord is saying I have to pay the rent at the beginning of the month and he will refund it at the end of the month. I see nothing in the lease to address this and it makes no sense to me? Can this be right? Why would I have to pay it again?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2006, 07:36 AM
    The landlord is wrong. If you have given proper notice, and paid the last month's rent in advance, then he should apply what you paid in advance as your last month's rent.

If he's using a good lease, then this should be stated there.

If he insists on you paying it, I'd complain to your State Attorney General.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 30, 2006, 07:44 AM
    That is correct, once you have paid first and last month rent, when you give notice, you don't have to pay your last months rent.

What the landlord is tyring to do ( illegally) is get that money to be held as a higher deposit, in case of damage.

I would also make this as a "red flag" of possible other issues when you move out. So get them to do a final inspection WITH you, and note any issues then. Also take photos of the apartment when you move out as evidence also.
    galfam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2006, 08:54 AM
    Thanks for your help!
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Nov 30, 2006, 08:59 AM
    I think that the answer would depend on the specific wording in the lease. Here in AZ the limit on any up front deposit is 1 1/2 times the monthly rent. I collect the first month rent plus at least an equal amount as security/damage deposit. At times the tenant erroneously believes that the deposit includes the last month rent. If the tenant did not pay the last monyh rent when giving the 30 day notice, the funds remaining to cover any damage to the unit would be minimal, or possibly zero.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a collections agency refuse payment or payment arrangement ? [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a hospital bill of $1000 from back in march and it has gone to a collections agency. Now my problem is, my insurance company actually sent me the check to make the payment. They instructed me to put it into my checking account then send a personal check to the creditor. However when I put...

Rent payment when lease goes into different month? [ 8 Answers ]

My lease is up December 10. However we pay rent on the third. If I'm planning on moving by the date my lease is up do I still have to pay rent for December? I don't believe I should have to.

Car payment [ 1 Answers ]

Can they take my car away if I don't make a payment?

Full month's rent? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi- I have a question that I need answered. My husband and I live in NH and currently are not in a lease with our apartment. We found a new place to live and would like to move in Aug 19. We have given 30 days notice, and would like to partial pay the month of Aug- from aug 1-19. Our present...

Payment over time [ 3 Answers ]

Present Values. A famous quarterback just signed a $15 million contract providing $3 million a year for 5 years. A less famous receiver signed a $14 million 5-year contract providing $4 million now and $2 million a year for 5 years. Who is better paid? The interest rate is 10 percent.

View more questions Search