Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lois121144 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2010, 07:03 AM
    Gurgeling coming from drain in tub on second floor every time sump pump runs
    My husband installed a new sump pump in the basement. Every time the pump runs, the bathtub drain on the second floor makes a loud gurgeling noise. The snow is melting and it's raining. The pump is running a lot. It sounds like a symphony in my bathroom. HELP!!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 13, 2010, 12:11 PM

Have hubby check the venting.
    Your gurgle tells me the sump pit's attempting to vent through the tub trap. The noise you hear is air being pulled through the liquid in the tub trap. The solution would be to vent the pit.
    The gurgle also tells me hubby tied the discharge from the sump into your house drainage. This is the kiss of death if you're on a septic tank. You'll overload the drainfield and that can cost you big $$. In my area it's against the law to discharge a sump pump or rain water run off into a public sewer. Vent the sump pit and if you're on a septic tank discharge elsewhere. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 13, 2010, 12:38 PM

Your hubby ran the discharge into your sewer drain witout a vent. Are you certain this is even legal in your area? We can help you fix the issue but would rather also be legal. Call your city building department and ask where you can discharge a sump pump first

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oder coming from sump pump [ 5 Answers ]

I have a foul oder coming from my sump pump. I have had 2 plumbers in and they both say there is nothing wrong with my sump pump. The smell is awful and I don't know where to go or who to call at this point. They both agreed that the oder was coming from my pump but not sure why. Any...

Sump pump runs, but no discharge? [ 8 Answers ]

My sump pump runs but but does not discharge. I have noticed if I release some pressure by way of loosening hose clamp where check valve connects, I re-tighten then pump will discharge water perfectly for about 20 seconds then reverts back to no discharge. It is like I keep getting air blockage? ...

Gurgling floor drain when sump runs [ 5 Answers ]

Hi,I have a basement floor drain that recently started gurgling when the sump runs. It usually gurgles a few seconds after the sump kicks on and then again a few seconds after the sump shuts off. I can also hear gurgling at the pump itself. Any ideas, The vent stack is clear. I snakes...

Kitchen sink drain gurgles when basement sump pump runs [ 0 Answers ]

When the basement sump pump runs the drains in my kitchen gurgle loudly. The sump pump well is in the basement and is the discharge for the CWM. The pump also discharges water. The discharge pipe connects to the main sewer line to the septic tank. The kitchen is on the first floor one room away...

Why the Sump Pump runs now? [ 4 Answers ]

When I moved in here 2 years ago the sump pumps (have 2) very rarely came on - I did have backup issues (the sewer & sump pumps are on the same line) The reason was tree roots. Recently we decided to air compress the pipe lines to rid the roots. Now, all of a sudden my sump pump decides to run...

View more questions Search