Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    radteck13 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Mar 13, 2010, 06:14 AM
    Rust on wall of above ground pools
    I have an 18 foot above ground Dough Boy Pool. It is approximately 16 years old. It is in excellent condition except for rust running from the skimmer box down. I was wondering if there was any way to replace that side panel? I hate to get rid of the pool simply because the rest of the pool is in excellent shape and sturdy. Any suggestions? I have asked pool shops in my area and they, of course, want to sell me a new pool. My son is a welder but says that to weld a piece into that place would be difficult or near impossible.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 13, 2010, 08:05 AM

Is it actually steel or are we talking about the supports? Most above ground pools use an aluminum rung the looks almost corragated. So there shouldn't be rust there. If the panels are steel the only way to preserve it in any way would be to clean odd the rushe then add support through the use of fiberglass. Using that you could add additional strength to the repair.

Mar 13, 2010, 08:18 AM

It's not the supports. It is the actual wall of the pool which is corrugated and one piece. The rust line runs from the skimmer box down. My neighbor had the same pool and the side wall ruptured and the liner came through. How would you put fiberglass in there?

Mar 13, 2010, 10:36 AM

FYI... I would recommend a Dough Boy Pool. Three of my neighbors have then and none of us have had any problems or complaints other than it is difficult, in our area, to find parts.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 13, 2010, 10:52 AM

To do the repair the section that is effected would have to be opened up. Then once the liner is pulled away the bulk of the repairs will be done from the inside. You could fiberglass a sheet of aluminum over the effected area as well as sand out the rust. You will have to treat both sides.

Mar 14, 2010, 06:54 AM

Thank you califdadof3 you have been very helpful.
    jbarnes1985 Posts: 26, Reputation: 10

Apr 21, 2010, 02:24 AM
    I have a Dough Boy above ground pool as well and had the same problem. I found this article vary helpful on my repairs.

http://www.amazines.com/Home_Repair/article_detail.cfm/309307?articleid=309307
    jbarnes1985 Posts: 26, Reputation: 10

Apr 21, 2010, 02:24 AM
    I have a Dough Boy above ground pool as well and had the same problem. I found this article vary helpful on my repairs.

http://www.amazines.com/Home_Repair/article_detail.cfm/309307?articleid=309307

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best On ground pools in New Jersey [ 10 Answers ]

I am considering installing an on ground pool and need to know the pros and cons of them being that they are new to the pool industry and also who is the best pool dealer in New Jersey to go with and best prices? I hope someone can help me with these questions. Thanks

Above ground pools [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best above ground pool liner, overlap or beaded?

Above ground pools [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a patch for above ground pools that are full? The hole is very small down towards the bottom.

How to repair a rip steel wall on above ground pools [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to purcahse a used pool with a small rip on the bottom of the steel wall. I would like to know if i could seam this area like the original seam from the manufacture?

Are on ground pools safe [ 1 Answers ]

I hope someone can help me with this question. I am ready to install a swimming pool in my backyard. I surfed the net and saw photos of on ground pools that go half-way in the ground. I would like that since it is cheaper then an inground pool and can go to eight feet. I want to know if it is...

View more questions Search