Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hader Posts: 22, Reputation: 3

Mar 12, 2010, 08:30 PM
    Adverse Possession in TEXAS
    These people sold us some land about 8 years ago, we found that the 'quit claim' deed was worthless (our ignorance). We now have to get a lawyer to acquire a clean title.
    They have been or were paying taxes on another Abandoned (since the 1930's) lot of land which they never maintained possession of. Can we move into that land and start establishing possession? Again this is TEXAS!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 08:56 PM

Land is owned by someone, they may not come to it, may never use it, but there is no such thing as "abandoned" it may merely be non used.

Next a quit claim deed actually never says they own it, only that they are selling you their claim to it, ( if they have any) it is your responsibleity to be sure they actually own it with a title search.

And 8 years of course is not long enough to establish ownership under adverse possession.

You can always tresspass and illegally enter the proper of another and start leaving there. Of course they may evict you or have you thrown off for tresspass if they discover you on the property. And you take the risk of having to stay on that property for years and years to only hope the court will accept the adverse possession

Mar 13, 2010, 08:25 AM

OK, fair enough. But if I was to take adverse possession of this land can anyone other than the original (rightful) owners make any claims against me or attempt to evict me?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 13, 2010, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hader View Post
    ok, fair enough. but if i was to take adverse possession of this land can anyone other than the original (rightful) owners make any claims against me or attempt to evict me?

Possibly others who acquired an interest in the property through the "original owners": those who acquired some sort of a lien, perhaps, taxing authorities, or persons who acquired the property through a tax sale, etc. There are many possibilities.

You seem to be asking whether you can just "squat" on land and eventually make it yours by simply occupying it. I don't know about Texas specifically, but in most places, no.

Mar 13, 2010, 07:04 PM

Thanks to all for the reply.
    Wow! Down here it's the norm: abandoned? You fence it, you use it ; in time it's yours. All you need is a lawer to do the paperwork.

Apr 22, 2010, 06:55 AM

Update: we found that the Deed is a "warranty Deed",
    Is that a good deed?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adverse Possession [ 5 Answers ]

My siblings & I inherited property from our parents ,of which settlement has not been agreeded upon. One of our siblings is openly storing their personal belongings on the property. In seven years Can adverse possession be claimed in doing so? Thanks

Adverse possession [ 2 Answers ]

What is the law of adverse possession

Adverse possession [ 2 Answers ]

I have let my father and his lady friend live in a home that belongs to me and my sister. They have been there for 14years and my father is in poor health, and we are scared that this woman will try to take this property from us through Adverse possession or squatters rights, which I think is the...

Adverse possession [ 9 Answers ]

We purchased a property four years ago from a cousin's estate. On having it surveyed we found That a thirty by forty foot piece of one of the back corners was not part of the property, but it had been occupied and maintained by the owner's family for over fifty years. They had planted shrubs And...

View more questions Search