Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anton75 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2010, 05:56 PM
    Break the barrier when starting a possible relationship.
    I have recently started contacting a girl that I really liked many years ago, we had feelings for each other back then, yet she was with someone else. She is now single and when we met in person it was fine for the first hour or so and then I felt this barrier going up between us. Since then we have chatted online have both made light of it due to being nervous, we have expressed that we still have feelings for one another and want to pursue a relationship. I have called her on the phone a couple of times, the conversations were very short, almost abrupt, its like we have nothing to say to each other, I realize the internet world is safer and opening up is easier, but I'm afraid of losing this opportunity. Could it just be nerves? I have never really had a relationship before so am unsure on what to think. Any advice?
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 06:00 PM

Why not simply ask her on a date and go from there?
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 06:40 PM
    Think of it as building blocks. The more blocks you add, the more your building grows, and the stronger it gets.

When you do something together to build the relationship, you'll have more to share and talk about and plan towards.

Go out to a movie, then coffee after to talk about the movie, or go to a neighbourhood theatre production, anything that gives you and her the opportunity to experience something together, a shared experience.

Maybe a comedy club. Does she skate? Anything to build the relationship while at the same time eliminating dead air and awkwardness.

Don't give up.
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2010, 10:16 AM

Ask her on a date... that's usually where dating begins.

I would also be more open in your communication with her.

You can't run out of things to say so soon. Do you know everything about her? If not, then you have no excuse to have abrupt conversations because nothing is being said.

The point is to learn about each other. And you guys are experiencing a really bad start.

Ask her out. Be cautious, and don't get all your emotions involved so soon.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 13, 2010, 12:13 PM

Your expecting too much and trying to hard, because you both have feelings for each other.

She is a stranger, because you both have changed so date and get to know each other.

It doesn't have to be a constant banter, but just focus on connection to see if those feelings are enough. Sometimes they aren't.
    anton75 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2010, 03:33 AM

Hey guys, Thanks to everyone for your responses. We met up again, we broke the ice and had a wonderful time, we have a ridiculous amount in common, we had a magical time. Now I've just got to get over the initial "relationship awkwardness. Thank you all again so much, your advice was fantastic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Break/break up/wierd relationship [ 9 Answers ]

Here's my situation... I met an old friend from elementary school when I was camping. (we both are 18). WE went on a couple dates and started oficially going out. We dated for about a month and then she became really y, and we decided to take a break for a whille. 5 hrs later she called me and said...

Starting a relationship while in treatment [ 14 Answers ]

I'll try to make this as brief as possible. After about 5 years of crack and other drug additions, my stepdaughter wanted our help. She gave birth to two children while on crack, and both were taken away from her and the babies' daddy.. who is also an addict/dealer. After a couple weeks of...

I'm losing self respect, I'm starting to break down [ 4 Answers ]

I need help I broke up with my boyfriend and decided to moved on pretty well,suddenly after months he start to make contact and we met up eventually. After meeting him I was depressed I begged him back but he is seeing someone now. I told him to stop making contact if he didn’t wanted to get back...

Starting a new relationship after a break-up [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I've posted a few times on this site in the past few months but will give a bit of background before talking about my new topic/issue. Myself and my ex broke up just over four months ago, it wasn't very clean, though it probably could have been. We had been together about a year and a...

View more questions Search