Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommasmom Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2010, 02:46 PM
    Cat labor and delivery
    My cat is very very pregnant! She has had the mucusy discharge for 2 days now and when she isn't hiding she is laying on me she seems very uncomfortable and moves around a lot. Nesting is getting more urgent but this has been 2 days now how long should I wait before panicing?no contractions she is eating but only tiny nibbles here and there. This is her 2nd litter first one was much simpler. She cried a few meows and started dropping them. I think she is stalling because she knows she is making me nervous! Lol
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 02:50 PM

She is not stalling because she knows it is making your nervous. This time, second pregnancy, she knows what she is doing. Just let her be. She knows what to do. Cat moms are very basic.

Okay

Tick

Mar 12, 2010, 02:54 PM

Thanks lol! I know she knows what to do I just want her to hurry an do it she had complications last time so me being there is important ! Not to mention taking her out the bathtub is impossible she fights! But my kids need baths its been 2 days ! Lol
    Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 03:03 PM

Keep that bathroom door closed ! Make a box with a lot of old towels in it right outside the door, anything to give her the right idea !

Tick

Mar 12, 2010, 04:02 PM
    Yeah bathroom door is closed but she won't use her cage or the boxes there are 3 in house for her to choose from but she prefers the tub actually laying in the middle of it an won't get out. Still no signs of full labor how long can she go after looseing mucus plug before she starts labor ? Its been 3 days since I noticed the discharge and 2 since I saw mucus plug?oh and she pushes all towels out the way! She just sleeps and licks!
    Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 05:03 PM

Hey, momm, it could be another week after that mucus plug goes, so hang in there !

Tick
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Mar 12, 2010, 05:32 PM

It's a matter of patience. Don't get too upset over it.

Good Luck!

Mar 12, 2010, 06:18 PM

Oh no! You mean she could act like this for another 3 days? She insists on laying on my chest when she isn't in my bathtub!neither option is convenient for me!
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Mar 12, 2010, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mommasmom View Post
    oh no! you mean she could act like this for another 3 days? she insists on laying on my chest when she isn't in my bathtub!neither option is convenient for me!
    :p
    Well, just wait and see.

Mar 12, 2010, 06:44 PM

Loll! I'm a mom of 3 I'm in school and run my avon business I don't have time to wait! Lol still no changes with her will keep you all updated and try to post pics when they do FINALLY do come OK
    Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 09:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mommasmom View Post
    oh no! you mean she could act like this for another 3 days? she insists on laying on my chest when she isn't in my bathtub!neither option is convenient for me!
    ***laughing*** yes, hang in there, babe. On your chest, eh, well that's a good soft spot for kitties and nursing mom !

Tick
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Mar 12, 2010, 09:14 PM

Have you tried keeping a couple inches of water in the tub when it's not being used for bathing? That should be more than enough to deter her from using it as a nesting spot.

Mar 13, 2010, 05:00 PM

I would but I have concluded that of all the places to have to clean afterward the bathtub will be easyest she won't stay in there after kittens are born I will move them like I did last time. But still nothing yet she just lays in the tub!! Its been 3 days now
    Experts

Mar 13, 2010, 05:50 PM

As long as she's comfortable and doesn't seem to be having trouble delivery, she should be fine. Cats take their own sweet time, just like humans.

Mar 14, 2010, 09:06 PM

She is doing fine today she is I guess 63 days now she is in an out her box which took forever to get her to stay in and a lot of food and treats! She escaped earlier and made herself comfy on top of the washer which was on! We spent 20 min looking for her ! She now can't decide if she wants to be in the cage or out of it! She is just in and out! She is eating less . Maybe tomarrow I can post baby pics! Or not?
    Experts

Mar 14, 2010, 09:09 PM

I'm interested in how things with your cat goes. I'm waiting for my cat to give birth, too. I just don't have the luxery of knowing when she got pregnant. I'm hoping for soon, though. She's been awfully big for an awful long time.

Mar 19, 2010, 05:14 AM

I am happy to anounce that we have 5 beautiful babies 2 girls 3 boys! It took her about 4 hrs! All were healthy and everyone is doing great thanks to all of you who gave advice! Even if you don't know the exact date time it from the first day you noticed her belly gettn big gestation is only 65 days and she will let you know when she is ready! Keep her I nthe house and out your closets ! I spent a lot of time rubbing her belly so she would trust me that I wasn't a threat to the kittens and was able to be there during delivery and cut all the umbilical cords as my momma will not eat placenta and pushes baby's aside after delivery ,once unbilical cords were cut ( not recommended that you do this if mom is doing it on her own) I just placed baby's back next to her to clean and nurse.

Mar 19, 2010, 05:15 AM

Hhealth your cat looks just like my kitty !
    Experts

Mar 19, 2010, 05:17 AM

do you have pictures you can post of the babies?

her name is edith. She's a stray I adopted when I got my new place at the beginning of the month. As near as I can figure out from everything I've read, she has another week or two.

I have boxes set out for her, and she seems to have picked on. She decided a few nights ago that I need to sleep on the couch to be closer to her nesting box. When I try to sleep in my room, she walks around my bed talking.

the odd thing is, she's developed a near obsession with a patch of carpet the last couple days. It's about 2x3 in patch right by the baseboard. She rolls on it, scratches at it, and lays on it. If I didn't know better, I'd think it was laced with catnip.
    Expert

Mar 19, 2010, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post

the odd thing is, she's developed a near obsession with a patch of carpet the last couple days. it's about 2x3 in patch right by the baseboard. she rolls on it, scratches at it, and lays on it. if i didn't know better, I'd think it was laced with catnip.
    She knows she has to work the kittens into position, probaby why she is rolling and scratching on that piece of carpet. I would assume she is nearing her time, hh. I would take momms advice and massage her tummy; it may speed the process along and her water may break.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat delivery delay [ 1 Answers ]

A Persian cat - kittens will have large heads - is taking a long time to start delivery of her kittens. How long after her water breaks and some amniotic fluid comes out will the cat start the delivery process? I do not live close to any vets - and it is late at night. I called and only got voice...

Cat in labor [ 2 Answers ]

My cat is in labor, but she has already had two cats still born in the sac and not moving. Is their any way to save the kitens and make sure my cat is still okay?

Time between delivery of my cat [ 5 Answers ]

I have a cat that had her first kitten at 2;00 am and next one at 7:30am. I still feel kitten movement and its 6:00 pm. She is eating, drinking, nursing, not breathing heavy or no pushing. Seems all fine but I do feel movement. She does not seem stressed or anything bad. The baby seems to be higher...

View more questions Search