Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Verisyse Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2010, 08:40 AM
    Tax on Wire Transfer from Overseas to US
    I am permanent resident in the US (green card holder) but not a US citizen. My father, who is not a US permanent resident/citizen and lives overseas, would like to gift me money by sending it as a wire transfer from his account overseas to mine in the US. Assuming the amount is under $100K, what would be my IRS tax filing/declaration requirements, if any? Would I have to pay any taxes?

The money’s going to be a loan, but would that make a difference as to whether it’s stated as a gift or loan?

Any help would be appreciated!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 13, 2010, 06:48 AM

In the U.S. the receiver of gift does not pay any gift tax. Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Gift Tax

Mar 14, 2010, 07:18 AM
    Thanks, MukatA! Just so I get it right, it says
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    A receiver of the gift may be required to file Form 3520 to report the gift if the gift is from foreign sources and the amount exceeds a certain limit."
    It doesn't state what the amount it. Does it change from year to year?

And this:
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    So the receiver of the gift from foreign sources must file File 3520 Annual Return To Report Transactions With Foreign Trusts and Receipt of Certain Foreign Gifts if the amount if the total gifts received in 2007 is more than $100,000.
    How accurate is this? And just so I'm clear, I don't have to file 3520 if it's under $100,000? What if it's $100,000 on the dot?

Sorry for the additional questions, but I don't want to get into trouble with the IRS.

Mar 17, 2010, 05:50 PM

Dang... I was hoping to get a more comprehensive answer on this. Unless it really is that cut and dry that the receiver in the US won't get taxed or questioned when it comes to receiving a wire transfer from overseas.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 17, 2010, 11:25 PM

There is no tax on the gifts received. However, IRS may want to make sure that it is actually a gift so keep proper record.

Mar 29, 2010, 07:44 PM

And what would be considered acceptable record of this gift? Just a letter from my parents? Get it notarized? Etc?

Apr 4, 2010, 01:33 PM

So, no one knows what's considered proper records for a transaction like this? Please help! :confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax on Wire Transfer from Overseas [ 8 Answers ]

I am a US citizen living abroad. I keep a US checking account in the state of Idaho. Would a wire transfer from a foreign insurance company to this account be subject to tax or other scrutiny? The amount would be $100,000 or more.

What is US tax liability on overseas property sales when proceeds are kept overseas? [ 1 Answers ]

Tax liability on overseas property sales when proceeds are kept overseas.

International Wire Transfer Tax on Computer Program [ 8 Answers ]

I am a US citizen. I wrote an open source program many years ago, and just recently have sold the code and IP rights to an Australian, who will be wiring money to me soon in the amount of $25,000 US. Will I be taxed on this? Do I need to report it? This wasn't a project for hire, and developing...

Overseas Wire Transfer [ 4 Answers ]

I have an overseas account that where I wish to transfer funds to the United States. What is my tax liability on this if any? Thanks.

View more questions Search