Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bobber989 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2010, 07:45 AM
    Old piano what to do with
    Greetings from Michigan,
    I have an old (abt. 100 years) upright Kimball in my basement that needs to go! I took a picture of it to the local piano place, and he said he would charge me minimum of 350 to have his guys take it out, where they would then smash it and put it in a dumpster. So, I figured, why should I pay to have someone bust it up, when I can do it myself? My question is, are there any creative uses for the parts? I am thinking bookcase, coffee table, wind chimes out of the keys, maybe? It has not been tuned in forever, although I love the tone, and I can't move it away from the (interior) wall to see the serial number. Have no clue what the "guts" are like, although I understand that any piano has a certain lifespan, and I am sure this piano, although beautiful to look at, is way past its prime.
    -Sally
    Livonia, MI
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 08:21 AM

You are soooooooooo wrong:eek:, that old fella still has some life and someone will want it. Old uprights are still worth a lot of money and that guy should be shot for saying he would break it up and take it to the dumpster! I would suggest taking out an ad in a local paper to sell it. Let us know how you make out with it.

Tick
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2010, 04:53 PM
    Hi, Bobber989!

What kind of condition is the piano in currently, please? For instance, can it be tuned?

I've been a piano tuner/technician since 1974. Most old uprights aren't worth very much monetarilly. However, if it is tunable and playable, there is the possibility that someone may want it.

Please don't go just taking it apart. A techinicain will need to be taking the tension off the strings first. If that isn't done, then you have a potentially life-threatening situation there!

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2010, 04:57 PM
    By the way, I have a 1906 Chickering grand piano as well as an 1885 Everett grand piano. They're both in my living room and work fine!

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 13, 2010, 05:18 PM

At worst, you put a ad in the paper for someone to have it free if they remove it.

I have taken several over the years ( still have one) the same way, others I have sold after I got them.
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2010, 02:01 AM
    I hope that you'll be returning to here, Bobber989!

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can someone tell me the age of my piano? [ 23 Answers ]

Can someone tell me the age of my piano I got it from a second hand store a few days ago and they don't know the age. It would help a lot if someone could give me an estimate of the date. The serial number is # 158944 and it's a Kohler & chase. Thank you.

Age of a piano [ 4 Answers ]

I have inherited an Adam Schaaf piano from my grandparents. The number on the insied is 52747. I was wandering if any one could tell me the age of this paino.

Old upright piano [ 5 Answers ]

I have an old upright piano. I am moving and would like to know if this is worth anything or should I junk it?

Piano Types [ 3 Answers ]

Right now I have a Williams Symphony Digital Piano, but in the future I plan on getting an acoustic piano. What should I look for when buying an acoustic? Does the brand matter?

View more questions Search