Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dharma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 09:33 PM
    Theft under 2 time, very worried, karma
    I am a Canadian since 3 years, educated and smart, believer of spirituality, being kind and being truthful.

Yet, this year made two biggest mistake of my life, left corporate world several years ago, due to the office politics, found a freelance job, since than funds not steady, although managed my low key lifetstyle.

This year has been stressful, parents dead, moves, break up with boyfriend.

So, I made two same mistakes, July was caught shop lifting, two food iteams, about $10.00, hired a lawyer, put it on a credit card and he got me diversion, paid a donation to sick kids toronto.

Now, this month, made the same mistake, due to few stupid reasons, shop lifted, another food item worth $5, and got caught, I said sorry and wanted to pay for it, the security guard was rigid and cops were called, the security guy promised not to charge, yet when the cops found out I was charged before, they were very harsh and gave me theft under, with bad attitude and a court date.

I can't afford a lawyer again, went to duty counsel, he told me I wouldn't go to jail, although was short and didn't answer any questions, just told me to appear on my court date.

I feel ashamed, embrassed and perplexed to all this, I have promised myself never to do this again, but have to take responsibility of what I did, I am worried, stressed and afraid, and don't know what will happen?

Can't speak to anyone about it? Would apreciate feedback, what is the worse which can happen in my case, as this is the second time, and now I wouldn't get diversion I think?

Will I go to jail? I will really be thankful for insight on this... :(

Also, can I travel before my fingerprints are taken and court date to Cuba?
    moyra Posts: 39, Reputation: 8

Nov 30, 2006, 04:32 AM
    Dharma I am so sorry for what you have been through this year, it must be horrendous.

I'm not much help with regards to your court case but I feel you need some kind of counselling, you have to look at why you stole in the first place. You will still be grieving for the loss of your parents and if that is not getting addressed properly it will overspill into other areas of your life.

I truly hope that everything will work out for you, I will say a little prayer for you and leave my thoughts with you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2006, 09:54 AM
    Hello Dharma:

Even here in the US, where we try to put EVERYBODY in jail, a second minor shoplifting charge would NOT result in a jail sentence.

In terms of your travel, you are charged - not convicted. Unless the court has forbidden travel outside Canada, I'm sure you're free to go.

I know you say you can't afford a lawyer, but I'm not sure you can afford NOT to hire one. Oh, I'm sure you can probably take care of this yourself by pleading guilty to whatever they charge you with. However, in 10 years, when you're trying to get that great new job, a conviction 10 years earlier might very well prevent you from getting that job.

A lawyer can protect YOUR interests long into the future, whereas you could not.

excon
    dharma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2006, 10:46 AM
    Thanks so much for the advice,
    I will appreciate more feedback from kind people here,

THANKS MOYRA & EXCON

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Worried... [ 14 Answers ]

I have been really stressed out lately and I am findind myself unable to go to bed until the early hours of the morning (even thiugh I am tired) and I am not able to eat properly either. At times I feel sick (but never am sick). Yesterday I went to work (on an empty stomach) as I just wasn't...

Coincidence - or Karma? [ 6 Answers ]

Quickie: My sister-in-law died mysteriously at the home of her ex-husband in Texas in 2001. Her ex-husband died mysteriously in the same home in 2004. There were several things reported to us by a friend of our former in-law that make us feel that Luanne may have taken revenge for her death...

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

Computer won't start up first time, but will second time [ 8 Answers ]

So this is a completely different computer first off. When I press the power button, everything powers up, but the computer does not post, or beep. If you leave the computer on for like 10 seconds, turn it off, and then turn it immediately back on, it turns on, posts, beeps, boots into Windows...

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

View more questions Search